Platy fry surprise. Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zissou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new at this. Been keeping fish for about 2 weeks now. We've got babies!

We were out all day yesterday but last night when I was changing water I noticed a tiny fish dart across the tank! I spotted at least two last night and one this morning before work.

I picked up a breeder net today and am hoping the fry have survived. I plan to net them and get them into the breeder net when I get home in a few hours.

Any tips on netting them. Also what should I feed them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I selected all female platies and didn't anticipate babies but one must have already been carrying fry when I got her.

I've been testing my water parameters and ammonia and nitrite have been at zero. Ph is about 8.2. Temp is 78. Should I adjust temp for the fry at all? Didn't want to mess with the ph if I can avoid it.

Any special treatment needed for the mother? She seemed fine this morning. Hung at the bottom of the tank most of last night but I think she had very recently birthed.

Thanks!

What other fish do you have besides Platys? At first I was like you, worried that they would get eaten. But I have found with most other fish and the adult Platys that if you feed them well they are lazy and don't bother the fry. Let me know what other fish you have and then I'll give you more opinions. ;)

Three adult platies. I just netted one baby and got it into the breeder net gently. Can't find any other babies at the moment.

I feed daily but small amounts trying not to overfeed. The big platies had been chasing the fry and acting like they'd eat if they could.

What other fish do you have besides Platys? At first I was like you, worried that they would get eaten. But I have found with most other fish and the adult Platys that if you feed them well they are lazy and don't bother the fry. Let me know what other fish you have and then I'll give you more opinions. ;)
I agree. I was lucky enough on Saturday to witness one of my guppies give birth. I had her in a trap for a day and i was feeding her as she was birthing literally!!. The fry were swimming right next to her face and she took no interest whatsoever... I always keep my guppies well fed. I understand your concern on overfeeding your platies but just feed a small bit at a time, when they've eaten that, add more etc etc. At the start i used to just drop it all in in one go. Now hardly anything reaches the bottom and if it does, doesn't last long!!!

That's awesome, congratulations. And thanks for the advice.

I put a flake into the breeder net. I wasn't able to watch it feed but the flake is gone now so I assume he ate it. Regular flakes ok to feed? How much/often do you recommend to feed the baby?

Looks like just the one made it. Don't know how many she gave birth to but I've never seen more than two.

That's awesome, congratulations. And thanks for the advice.

I put a flake into the breeder net. I wasn't able to watch it feed but the flake is gone now so I assume he ate it. Regular flakes ok to feed? How much/often do you recommend to feed the baby?

Looks like just the one made it. Don't know how many she gave birth to but I've never seen more than two.
The amount of babies really depends on a few factors. Her size( without being pregnant!), if it's her first batch, the tank conditions etc. She probably had at least 15 but could have had up to 40!!!. You might still have babies, they are experts at hiding.
On the food, you really need to crush it to a powder. Try and get the Hikari First Bites, my fry go mad for it. It really is an excellent food. You should be feeding four times a day. There's a frenzy in the trap when i come near the tank. They know it's food time!!....
You can use your flakes(powdered) until you get some first bites. You only need to give a TINY amount each time....

You could also give boiled egg yolk. That's what I used to give my fry. Only give a TINY amount at a time, of course.

You could also give boiled egg yolk. That's what I used to give my fry. Only give a TINY amount at a time, of course.
I also give the juice from my thawed frozen bloodworm's. Not as food, as a treat. They're like Piranha's when that blood hits the water!!!

Awesome. Thank you all. I'll look for the hikari tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the fish I'm pretty sure was the momma:

image-1936352093.jpg

She is much more active today and aggressively feeding. Last night she chilled at the bottom behind plants all night.

Tonight this one is hanging on the bottom and not interested in feeding...

image-2383985541.jpg

I can see some tiny black spots on the backside of her belly that I'm pretty sure weren't there before. I wouldn't have thought so but is there a chance she looks pregnant to you? I read the black spots could be fry eyes... Last night she was floating listlessly at the surface. Seems much healthier today but still pretty docile.

I know the pics aren't great but do you see anything to be concerned about?

Thanks again.

Awesome. Thank you all. I'll look for the hikari tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the fish I'm pretty sure was the momma:

View attachment 157075

She is much more active today and aggressively feeding. Last night she chilled at the bottom behind plants all night.

Tonight this one is hanging on the bottom and not interested in feeding...

View attachment 157076

I can see some tiny black spots on the backside of her belly that I'm pretty sure weren't there before. I wouldn't have thought so but is there a chance she looks pregnant to you? I read the black spots could be fry eyes... Last night she was floating listlessly at the surface. Seems much healthier today but still pretty docile.

I know the pics aren't great but do you see anything to be concerned about?

Thanks again.
I always take the symptoms your described, hanging at the bottom or near the heater, docile, not eating, as signs of imminent fry!!!. I bet all your females are pregnant, livebearers only have to see a male and they're pregnant..haha
And no, from your pic, your other female seems fine....

I always take the symptoms your described, hanging at the bottom or near the heater, docile, not eating, as signs of imminent fry!!!. I bet all your females are pregnant, livebearers only have to see a male and they're pregnant..haha
And no, from your pic, your other female seems fine....

Haha. You may be right!

Do you think it would be wise to move her to the breeder net? I don't think she'd go after the fry in there. He's found himself a little hiding place under the frame.

It's the fish in this picture that had those symptoms. Does she look big enough to be with fry?

image-2719633256.jpg

It's the fish in this picture that had those symptoms. Does she look big enough to be with fry?

View attachment 157080
In the earlier post, did you mean, move the fry to the net, if you did, then it's really your call mate. Personally i would try, but don't go crazy trying to catch it. Be gentle and it might just swim into the net, don't chase it!!!
She looks bigger than normal but not massive. I would say she has a bit to go. I hate trying to guess, especially from a pic. Pics can be so deceiving.
Just my opinion.....

In the earlier post, did you mean, move the fry to the net, if you did, then it's really your call mate. Personally i would try, but don't go crazy trying to catch it. Be gentle and it might just swim into the net, don't chase it!!!
She looks bigger than normal but not massive. I would say she has a bit to go. I hate trying to guess, especially from a pic. Pics can be so deceiving.
Just my opinion.....

Sorry, I meant to move the pictured fish with the symptoms. Ive already moved the one fry I could find to breeder net.

I know it's hard to make a call from the picture. To me, she doesn't look huge but I feel like it could be possible she's pregnant...

Sorry, I meant to move the pictured fish with the symptoms. Ive already moved the one fry I could find to breeder net.

I know it's hard to make a call from the picture. To me, she doesn't look huge but I feel like it could be possible she's pregnant...
I would say it's 100% certain she's pregnant. If they were kept with males in the store, then she is. Also they can store sperm for up to 4 months after contact with males. So 4 sets of fry, 1 set every month!!!

Wow!... If that's the case I wouldn't have room for that many fish in my tank. What to do with all those fishies?

The small fry in the breeder net doesn't seem to be eating the tiny flakes this morning. Maybe I didn't crush them fine enough? Hoping to pick up the First Bites today and have better luck with that. He also hasn't been very active. Is that normal for newborn?

Also, should I have put some gravel in the breeder net? I just left it empty but with the fake plants that came with it.

Wow!... If that's the case I wouldn't have room for that many fish in my tank. What to do with all those fishies?

The small fry in the breeder net doesn't seem to be eating the tiny flakes this morning. Maybe I didn't crush them fine enough? Hoping to pick up the First Bites today and have better luck with that. He also hasn't been very active. Is that normal for newborn?

Also, should I have put some gravel in the breeder net? I just left it empty but with the fake plants that came with it.
If you leave the mother(s) in the tank, most of the fry will be eaten. It might sound cruel but that's mother nature. You could ask at your local fish store if they would trade them for credit, most usually do. The larger ones tend not to.
The newborn fry not being active is pretty normal, in my experience. With the food, try your best to get that First Bites(Ebay, Amazon) but with the flakes, they have to be like powder. Extremely fine, think of the size of their mouths!!!.
With the First Bites, you only need a TINY bit at a time. I pack will last a very long time. No harm in picking up a few packs though, as long as they have a decent best before date, at least a year!!. It's only about $2-$3 each....

That's true I guess. Circle of life... Or something.

I did find the first bites today at petco. Ill give him a tiny bit tonight and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom