Platy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxy_89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I hope there is someone here that might have the answer I am looking for.
I have two 29gal tanks set up one for my males and one for my females.
I have 6 female platys that became pregnant before I separated the males out into the new tank. I have noticed that there will be 3-5 fry show up every week or so and they are all still visibly pregnant.
There are definitely no males in the tank

Generally the females can bear several batches of fry and for quite some months without males around. Someone might have exact figures. I assume it’s a survival thing.

Ohh really!
That’s actually pretty cool.
Thank you for the info.

Females can store sperm for, if I recall right, up to 8 weeks. Eventually you'll stop getting new little ones.
Most females of ovoviviparous livebearers such as these can store sperm packets for over a year even. But the quality of those sperm packets when stored for over a year will become less. A lot of people think they are only able to store such packets for a few months but it's really over a year.

Handy info - I wonder why. I assume this all for survival but would of thought males would be more common in nature.

Handy info - I wonder why. I assume this all for survival but would of thought males would be more common in nature.
Well, the ability of storing sperm packets is a survival strategy in free nature. In case there are no males anymore or a lack of males within the colony, this ensures to get the population going on. For a certain number of ovoviviparous livebearer species occur in preditory waters and therefore a number of these livebearers will be eaten. And as long as there are surviving females that are storing sperm packets, they can still reproduce themselves and the colony will survive.

Back
Top Bottom