Platy Help Required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put her in the breeder trap last night right before lights out as recommended to attempt to reduce the stress, she has been good as gold in fairness. I am hoping the babies will come today whilst I'm at work so I can put her back in the large tank later, if not it will definitely be tomorrow, she is bulging now and extremely square.
If I use traps, I like to leave the female in the trap for a day after she gives birth. This is not always possible as you may need to use the trap for the fry. If you don't need the trap for the fry, leave her in there for a day. It gives her a chance to rest, feed and keep the male(s) away for a bit!!

If I use traps, I like to leave the female in the trap for a day after she gives birth. This is not always possible as you may need to use the trap for the fry. If you don't need the trap for the fry, leave her in there for a day. It gives her a chance to rest, feed and keep the male(s) away for a bit!!

She is still yet to give birth, I am worried now as I have obviously put her in too early, she seems to be alright in there with the lights off at the minute but I don't want her to get stressed out in there. Just praying she gives birth today whilst I'm at work and I can get her back into the main tank again.

Luckily I have only females in the main tank so male attention shouldn't be a problem.

Hope she pops today ;)

I'm heading home in a mo to check. I'm praying she has, if she doesn't tomorrow I'll put her back in the main tank regardless, I don't like her being stressed out in there.

You live and you learn I guess.

It's a ridiculous amount, no wonder she was looking so stressed with all those inside her!

I've just rehomed my boys, my mollies were at it constantly, and I'm picking another tank up tomorrow for €5 euros bargain ;) it's a 40 litre so might sell on my 25 litre can't have 4 tanks, or can I ?

I've just rehomed my boys, my mollies were at it constantly, and I'm picking another tank up tomorrow for €5 euros bargain ;) it's a 40 litre so might sell on my 25 litre can't have 4 tanks, or can I ?

You can never have too many!

Of course you can. It's called MTS. An illness like most other addictions. The main symptoms are an emptying bank account/wallet. NO known cure :hide:

We have birth! Hurrah! The fish is back in the main tank (where there is only one other female fish so no hassle) and is back eating straight away again stress free.

There are rather a lot of fry seeing as I presumably saved nigh on all of them this time!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Lilly_2004/20131024_133957_zps43d3f1ea.jpg
Congrats. Sounds like YOU were more stressed than the fish:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you finally release this latest batch from the trap, be careful, those current fry might bully the new fry. Might be an idea to rehome/transfer them to your main tank.....

When you finally release this latest batch from the trap, be careful, those current fry might bully the new fry. Might be an idea to rehome/transfer them to your main tank.....

I was thinking of moving the last fry into the main tank in a month when the current batch are developed a bit more.

It has been a while since last I posted...

Mother is still doing absolutely fine, she is certainly resolute, to go from lying on my carpet for however many seconds/minutes to how she is now is remarkable, you wouldn't notice that anything had been wrong.

The 6 week old fry are now quite large, a few more weeks until they can be placed in the large tank I think, but their development has been interesting.

The latest fry are now 2 weeks old and there are still around 40 in there, lost about 6 which I imagine is fairly natural, but the rest seem to be healthy and growing nicely.

Will post up pics after work.

Back
Top Bottom