Platy overweight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do platties usually get this fat?? It is male so it's not pregnant. He has a really huge chest area.

Attachments

• image-766694813.jpg
    image-766694813.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1888918868.jpg
    image-1888918868.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3081864990.jpg
    image-3081864990.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 83
Yes I can try when I get home... But I'm pretty certain it's male.. I could be wrong! I do know how to tell the difference.. If it's not a male could it have been pregnant from the pet store? I've had her/him for about a month with another for definite female Platy who actually is pregnant I believe

Sexing live bearers

The way to sex live bearers including platy sp.
Look at the anal fin, the female form is a more regular "fin" shape. The fin on the male will appear to have less rays and be more compressed across its length, it is also called a gonopodium.

Edit- looking at the picture I would suggest intestinal worms, pregnant female show a darker spot behind the silver sack containing the organs, above the anal vent, as opposed to a forward area close to the pectoral fins.

4tanks2day YouTube freshwater tropical fish (stills) video, time 1:58 into the video for clear evidence, male appears shortly after.

So I put in some prazipro last night just to be cautious and I woke up this morning and it literally looks like he lost 10 lbs ... Haha, weird

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom