Platy pregnancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

serena00

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible for platy to breed with a molly? I have 4 molly... 1m/3f and 1 platy, a female and she is pregnant. She has been in this tank for over 6 months without a platy male. She was sold to me as a molly but I know that she's a platy.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Please correct me if I'm wrong... I think it's theoretically possible for any livebearer to breed with any other livebearer.

I don't think platies normally breed with mollies but it MIGHT be possible. I know platies readily breed with swordtails, and mollies and guppies will sometimes crossbreed but that's about all I know.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Interesting. I'm eager to see how these fry will turn out!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

How far along is she? Of she's going to give birth soon I want pictures of the fry lol ??

I am not home but will send pictures when I am. She has been pregnant for at least 3 weeks... Her tummy is barely beginning to square off. And I can for sure see the black area where the babies are inside her.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

platys can hold sperm for quite a while, send pictures of all your fish, and it is physically impossible for a platy and a Mollie to breed

platys can hold sperm for quite a while, send pictures of all your fish, and it is physically impossible for a platy and a Mollie to breed

Correct, some live bearers can "cross bread" (endler/guppy) swordtail/platy
But these are hybrids and should not be distributed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427299008.826303.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427299032.885920.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427299103.536221.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427299130.566438.jpg

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Very pretty. I wonder what colors the fry will be.

Yeah thank you!:) she was a good find. Although I'm concerned, shes been this big for about 3 weeks. All my levels are perfect. All the tank mates are happy... I wanna catch the fry but don't want to stress her out by moving her.

Is there other reasons she would take this long to drop? I'm guessing it's been over a month considering she's been this exact size for 3 weeks.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Some take longer than 3 weeks IME. How boxed off is she? I once had a Molly that took close to 5 weeks till she gave birth.

She's pretty boxed to me. About the same as my previous molly pregnancy.

I just wish it was easier to catch them right before they are going to give birth! It's so hard to catch the fry!! And I want a lot of survivors from this batch to see what they will look like.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

If anybody is following..
Update: still no fry but she is not unhappy. This is her second pregnancy so I'm expecting possibly more fry. Her first set are almost ready to join the big tank!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Back
Top Bottom