playing in the current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi is the blue peacock cichlid just playing with/against the current or could this indicate water chemistry problem? He looks happy, I just wonder because I've heard the up/down swimming on the glass is an indication of bad water chemistry..

Seriously I don't know... What's your water parameters ?

The best way to know if you fish is happy, is to know Temp, GH, KH, PH, NH3+NH4, NO2, NO3, PO4 (po4 <-- more for algea problems)

the tank is cycled, I do 50% wc weekly, use prime, all parameters good, nitrite 0, nitrate around 10, temp 77 (I didn't check ammonia, just used a strip, getting ready to head to bed) ph 7.8

ok ruled out ammonia, it's 0, checked nitrite to be sure with api too, also 0

Some fish just like to do that. Mine love to do it when I add fresh water with my water changer :)

For ammonia, if you say it's cycled I trust you and should be 0.

Your parameters look good. If your PH stay stabilized around your 7.8, it sign that the carbonated hardness (and maybe general hardness) is good for your fish. Cichlids like hard water and ph above 7.0. Naturally, hard water lead to higher PH.

I just think your fish is fine and he's playing in the aquarium... Maybe it's a sign of happyness :) ?

thank you all, I thought so too, but then a couple other fish started up/down swimming which is why I ended up testing the water with api. In fact all the fish were out (even pleco and syno cat) and no one was chasing/bullying, it was nice =) Maybe I was witnessing some late night phenomena lol

Back
Top Bottom