Playing with fire? Mixing Triggers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a month ago i got a Niger Trigger (though he/she is really a gorgeous deep blue). doesn't fight with anyone, other than this Sailfin that occasionally puffs up when they bicker over food.

I recently added a small clown trigger - with the plan to move him to a predator tank when I get it cycled and fully built in a few months.

The clown is about 3-4" long, and the niger is 7"+. They don't fight at all, and I've just learnt to feed the big one first, and then take care of the others so they don't fight over food.

The tank is 150g, and over 150lbs of LR for them to hide in.

Is this playing with fire, or has anyone kept triggers together like this? I'd really like to get a humu humu trigger as well - maybe a small one - or is this to risky?

The niger and humu might play nicely, but once the clown trig grows up it will own the tank. It is difficult to say whether or not the trigs will brawl, but if (probably when) they do my money is on the clown.

Thats my thoughts - and why I only got the clown when he was small. I'll transfer him to another tank when he gets 5 or so inches long, or when I start to see him getting overly hostile.

Would a humu the same size (4") be fine in with them right now?

Also - I'd REALLY like to put in two more tangs (a yellow, and 2 hippos) - any recommendations on how to do this? Get them small perhaps?

Unfortunatley I have a medium size snowflake eel and the LFS suggestted that he might eat the hippos while they sleep if they are two small. They had a batch of 1" babies that I wanted to add.

You would be better off purchasing tangs that are at least 4". As for the humu it's a gamble. Trigs can be nasty so all bets are off, but at least 2 out of the 3 you chose are considered somewhat docile.

Hmmm - how well would the sailfin do in the predator tank? He is pretty agressive to his current tank-mates. Perhaps I should move him and bring in the 3 small tangs all at once (hippo, yellow & another small sailfin?)

All Zebrasoma spp. are considered sailfin tangs. Which one do you have specifically? Sorry, perhaps I missed it previously stated. The hippo would fare worst since they are fairly passive/shy for a tang. For tangs I would veer towards Acanthurus spp. (trying to picture naso spp. in a 150g hmmmmm).

Ah ok, definitely keep it...one of my personal faves ;) If this were my tank I'd go with:

x1 red sea sailfin (what you currently own)
x1 Yellow tang or purple tang
x1 Powder blue or Orange-shoulder tang
or
x1 red sea sailfin (what you currently own)
x1 Yellow tang or purple tang
x1 Tennenti tang

As for trigs, I'd return the clown trig and opt for a Sargassum trig along with your humu (I prefer Assasi). I would add the group of tangs at once, after quarantine, and if you do decide on having 3 trigs...place the remaining 2 also at the same time...unless you decide to keep ol clowny ;)

Off to bed, good luck :)

Yea- they are beautiful fish.

No opes on a hippo though? I REALLY like those fish.

You can try a hippo, just one, but it may get its lil dory-butt whipped...be prepared if it needs to be removed. Get one 4-6" if you do and minus an Acanthurus spp. unless you want to pack the tank mainly with tangs.

Back
Top Bottom