Please answer immediately urgent asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks also doesn't prime mess up the API master test kit reading? Many posts on here say that. And I'm just going to buy some buckets to solve the chlorine heavy metal and chloime problem. Can anyone tell me te exact ingredients, in order of prime so I can compare the two.
Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites, but it doesn't remove them from the water. They just get bound to other molecules and aren't harmful to your fish. It will NOT stall your cycle or remove your bacteria's food. It's your choice between prime and aqua safe, but I see no reason not to get prime. Prime's detoxification is an added bonus, it will help your fish, especially since you are cycling.

If aquasafe is causing you problems with water changes because you can't add it before the new water, then do your fish a favor and get prime. It should be about your fish's preferences, not yours. I'm sure they will thank you for not exposing them to chlorine.

--Adeeb

I doubt seachem shows their ingredients... It shouldnt mess up the test results. You may be confuding it with the fact that prime detoxifies ammonia, but it will still show on the test. That is not a priblem, and you're test will show 0 ammonia when youre done cycling anyway. Good luck :)

--Adeeb

Ok thanks what kind if water changes would you suggest i got them yesterday and they're already showing symptoms of ammonia poisining so I did a large 50 percent water changes since there probably wasn't any bacteria in there yet. And after I did the water change they still show all the symptoms. It's been a day since doing the water chane I'd think it should go away. Most people have suggested 10-15 percent daily water changes is this correct? Thanks
I doubt seachem shows their ingredients... It shouldnt mess up the test results. You may be confuding it with the fact that prime detoxifies ammonia, but it will still show on the test. That is not a priblem, and you're test will show 0 ammonia when youre done cycling anyway. Good luck :)

--Adeeb

If your tap water has chloramines, Prime binds them in a way that they show up on the water test as ammonia. So if your water has chloramines, and you do a big PWC then test for ammonia, you will get a "false positive" of ammonia in the tank. If you test the next day, it will be gone.

That's why if I want an accurate test, I always test before a PWC :)

You can google Seachem Prime and Tetra Aqua Safe for information, but prime is cheaper, and you don't need buckets or to cause your fish undue stress while you are doing a PWC.

+1
and for water changes, 50% a day as long as they're showing symptoms or there's .25ppm ammonia.

--Adeeb

Thanks I'm still sticking with aqua safe I don't want my ammonia bonded or whatever you called it I want my ammonia left alone. I just want a conditioner that removes chlorine, chlorime, and heavy metals. And maybe with slime coat or bio extract.
If your tap water has chloramines, Prime binds them in a way that they show up on the water test as ammonia. So if your water has chloramines, and you do a big PWC then test for ammonia, you will get a "false positive" of ammonia in the tank. If you test the next day, it will be gone.

That's why if I want an accurate test, I always test before a PWC :)

You can google Seachem Prime and Tetra Aqua Safe for information, but prime is cheaper, and you don't need buckets or to cause your fish undue stress while you are doing a PWC.

I used Prime when I had to cycle my tank with fish. I tried AquaSafe once because I ran out of Prime on the 4th tank, and there were SOOO many bubbles in there, that the fish food wouldn't even sink.
If you want to use AquaSafe, that's fine, but also know that the bio-ectract does not work.
The Prime binds to the ammonia, making it NON-TOXIC to your fish, but it's still in there, so therefore your tank can still cycle.

Thanks I know the bio extract doesn't actually contain beneficial bacteria and mostly it's just a scam to get you to buy it but it contains like some sea weed biopolymers and stuff. I've never experience the bubble problem though. Then again my filter produces tons of bubbles but the food does fine. I just don't like using uneccary chemicals in my tank. I'd prefer my ammonia not be binded. I just want a simple conditioner.
I used Prime when I had to cycle my tank with fish. I tried AquaSafe once because I ran out of Prime on the 4th tank, and there were SOOO many bubbles in there, that the fish food wouldn't even sink.
If you want to use AquaSafe, that's fine, but also know that the bio-ectract does not work.
The Prime binds to the ammonia, making it NON-TOXIC to your fish, but it's still in there, so therefore your tank can still cycle.

IMO Prime is better and so many reasons were stated before that i dont need to go into BUT the point is you have no preparation in your tank, you have no buckets or anything. You need to get prepared NOW or your fish WILL die. So step up to the plate and get prime, or get the supplies you need so you can care for your fish and get it done, because if you DONT then your fish will be dead. So pull your pants up and do it. It is fine you like Aquasafe just prepare correctly to use it. End of story thats what you need to do and get it done. I wish you and your fish the best.

Thanks were going to petco to get siphone and walmart to get 3 5 gallon buckets. Anything else I need?
IMO Prime is better and so many reasons were stated before that i dont need to go into BUT the point is you have no preparation in your tank, you have no buckets or anything. You need to get prepared NOW or your fish WILL die. So step up to the plate and get prime, or get the supplies you need so you can care for your fish and get it done, because if you DONT then your fish will be dead. So pull your pants up and do it. It is fine you like Aquasafe just prepare correctly to use it. End of story thats what you need to do and get it done. I wish you and your fish the best.

I'm not familiar with Prime but I have been using Aquasafe since I started my aquarium up almost a year ago. I just put 3 capfuls of Aquasafe in my 55 gallon aquarium then add the new water using a python and have never had a problem with any of my fish doing it this way.

Thanks what's python? Is it a siphon? I've just decided to fill buckets up with water and put conditioner in the buckets and put the buckets in the tank. A lot easier. And siphon out my tank water out my windows lol and I don't have the blinds open at any time other than water changes so don't tell me about the algae and direct sunlights bad for fish I know. The reason I don't put it in before is I have to fill my tank up slowly or else the hose will blast sand everywhere. So I have keep my hose on low. Our tap is treated with salt softner and the hose is right by my window so no problem.
I'm not familiar with Prime but I have been using Aquasafe since I started my aquarium up almost a year ago. I just put 3 capfuls of Aquasafe in my 55 gallon aquarium then add the new water using a python and have never had a problem with any of my fish doing it this way.

A python is a siphon just very long and hooks up straight to the sink. worth the couple of bucks if you find 1.

I got my python from Petsmart. I think Python is actually a brand name and the one from Petmsart has a diferent name but it's basicaly the same thing. The funny thing though is that at Petsmart the 50 foot long one is actually quite a bit cheaper than the 25 foot for some reason. Needless to say, I picked up the 50 foot one.
When I first set up my aquarium I was actually using the bucket method just like you. It sure didn't take very long for me to decide to run out and purchase a python. Believe me, they are worth every penny!

Thanks I'm getting ready to do I water change because my bettas ammonia is getting wrose I don't know about the cories because I don't know what to look for. But we've had tons of experience with bettas so I know when somethings wrong with them. So my plan is to turn everything off (which IS required my equipment won't work when out of water), scoop out the water with cups and throw it out my window, than I found and old 1 gal glass bowl we used to use I plan to fill it up with hose water than treat it than dump it in my tank. Does this sound good? Thanks how much water should I change I did 50 percent yesterday and it's just getting wrose I haven't fed them much. My tanks 28 gals but I don't have it filled up all the way because they all come to the top to breath air so what percent? Thanks!
A python is a siphon just very long and hooks up straight to the sink. worth the couple of bucks if you find 1.

Thanks i use hose water so i cant use a python. Im just going to get a marineland siphon with 5 attatchments. I might in the future buy a hose adapter for it but for now I'm using the bucket method. I'm getting ready to do I water change because my bettas ammonia is getting wrose I don't know about the cories because I don't know what to look for. But we've had tons of experience with bettas so I know when somethings wrong with them. So my plan is to turn everything off (which IS required my equipment won't work when out of water), scoop out the water with cups and throw it out my window, than I found and old 1 gal glass bowl we used to use I plan to fill it up with hose water than treat it than dump it in my tank. Does this sound good? Thanks how much water should I change I did 50 percent yesterday and it's just getting wrose I haven't fed them much. My tanks 28 gals but I don't have it filled up all the way because they all come to the top to breath air so what percent? Thanks!
I got my python from Petsmart. I think Python is actually a brand name and the one from Petmsart has a diferent name but it's basicaly the same thing. The funny thing though is that at Petsmart the 50 foot long one is actually quite a bit cheaper than the 25 foot for some reason. Needless to say, I picked up the 50 foot one.
When I first set up my aquarium I was actually using the bucket method just like you. It sure didn't take very long for me to decide to run out and purchase a python. Believe me, they are worth every penny!

I'm getting ready to do I water change because my bettas ammonia is getting wrose I don't know about the cories because I don't know what to look for. But we've had tons of experience with bettas so I know when somethings wrong with them. So my plan is to turn everything off (which IS required my equipment won't work when out of water), scoop out the water with cups and throw it out my window, than I found and old 1 gal glass bowl we used to use I plan to fill it up with hose water than treat it than dump it in my tank. Does this sound good? Thanks how much water should I change I did 50 percent yesterday and it's just getting wrose I haven't fed them much. My tanks 28 gals but I don't have it filled up all the way because they all come to the top to breath air so what percent? Thanks!

What is the ammonia level? That will dictate how much water to take out.

A 50% water change will remove 50% of the ammonia. So if your ammonia is .5ppm, then do a 50% PWC to get it down to .25ppm. If you have 1ppm ammonia, do a 75% PWC to get it down to .25 ppm, because a 75% water change will remove 75% of the ammonia. Make sense?

A 50% water change will remove 50% of the ammonia. So if your ammonia is .5ppm, then do a 50% PWC to get it down to .25ppm. If you have 1ppm ammonia, do a 75% PWC to get it down to .25 ppm, because a 75% water change will remove 75% of the ammonia. Make sense?

Ya, you need to get your cycle on track.

Yes it makes sense but I don't have a test kit yet. My mom says she thinks it is a waste of money when you can get it done at petco for free which I agree but we never go to petco so I plan to get the API master for 17.99 plus 8.99 shipping. I have a 10 percent coupon code and a I plan to buy some other stuff. Right now I don't have enough I'll have enough to order by Sunday I'll place the order. So until than I'm just going off of my betta. In very familiar when it has ammonia it's easy for me to tell I don't know about the cories. They seem to be hanging out at the top which isn't a good sign. And digging their heads in the sand. And my betta is showing all signs of ammonia. So since I put fish in 5 days ago and did a 50 percent water change yesterday what would you do? Also how long do you think my cycle will take. I know there a lot of variable just s guess. I have a 28 gal 78 degrees penguin 150 sand driftwoods 4 stones. 3 cories 1 betta. That's just a summary I have more equipment. Thanks I need to get the water change done so if you guys could reply quickly that would be great!

Back
Top Bottom