Please Comment-Criticize-Ask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which resembles what you already have going. I would get that rock you like, but I would not buy all your LR for that much...that would end up totalling 700 bucks... But Xmas is upon us, look around the sites that sponsor the forum and others that we have talked about. There are bound to be deals somewhere. I paid 200 for 50 lbs and it was higher than other sites due to it not being fiji and other sites not having my caribean. Forgive spelling...just not with it today.

If you need 100lbs, get like 85 baserock an 15 LR then cycle in a rubbermaid bin.

Should take 3-4 weeks and it saves a ton of money.

Basically yes. There is nothing alive in it. Some of it isn't even really rock...more like some odd stuff that reminds me of plaster of paris from elementary school art class.

200 gallon reef said:
Is base rock a dead rock?

Well, let me edit to say get dead or dried LR. base rock is anything, even concrete. So, bad choice of words.

Find someone that's breaking down their tank and get their dried LR. I have some myself but don't know if you'd want to pay shipping.

Ok . . . I think I understand now. The final question I have is looking at my tank pics now - would u stack on top of the current rock or completely reconfigure making the base rock the very bottom. I def want to keep the sand area I have in the front. So I would want to build up and back. Any suggestions?

My rock.

This is from an established tank that I bought and didn't add all the rock when I set it up. I just let it dry out after curing the other rock I didnt add initially.

Attachments

• image-701667131.jpg
    image-701667131.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 74
Dude, I would either put the base at the bottom or mix it up. Here is why. Depending on what your corals' needs are and if they are attached to your rock. Also will depend on rock size...putting big rocks ontop of small rocks and hope it won't fall over is...well you get the idea. You make it work, it won't matter as long as it doesnt fall over.

Do you not have fish in yet?

I would also make sure the rocks are on the glass so if you get a sand sifter, they won't topple. I'd go so far as to put egg crate on the bottom to disperse the weight if you can

Ok. . . Mixing it up makes sense. Def also makes sense to lean against the glass. I have 5 fish . . . 1 yellow tang . . . . 2 ocellaris clowns . . . . 2 damsels . . . . And a scooter blenny.

How long on average does base rock start taking color and coraline once mixed with live rock?

Depends. My LR is just now taking on a large amount of coraline and color. It's been...IDK whenever my join date is lol. Only thing slowing it down was the diatom bloom on the top of my rocks when I got my T5...and my snails solved that...and the only thing left is the black crap that I'm assuming is a cyano bacteria outbreak on one of my favorite pieces of LR. But doesn't really bother me, I want it covered in Zoas.

2 to 3 months is not bad at all.

Here is my protein skimmer - super reef octupus 3000.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111221_211130.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_211130.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 68
Here are a couple more of the sump

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111221_211313.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_211313.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20111221_211330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_211330.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20111221_211351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_211351.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 89
Nice! I got a crappy hob skimmer lol I'm jealous. Mine just started getting a lot of coralline algae on it and I started it in the beginning of November.

The skimmer was $425. But I was told it was the most important thing in the system

Since i have had the protein skimmer - my levels have been extremely stable - i haven't had any spikes. It could also be the size of the tank as well. Does anyone recognize the return pump. It came with the tank and it doesn't say anything on it.

Nope dont recognize it. Sheesh 475$?! That's crazy.. That's probably why they've been so stable. Thats a good skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom