Please help Dusty water problem New filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got some brand new ceramic rings for my aquarium. I washed them off in my sink and put them in my canister filter. now I have dustlike particles in my fish tank please help what did I do wrong.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447288920.741501.jpg

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

If it coincided with the introduction of the ceramic rings then I would say that you hadn't rinsed them enough, although I have never rinsed new ceramic media and not had a problem.
Add a good wad of filter floss in the final stage of your filter to catch the dust.
Do a couple of large water changes as well to help the process along, vacuuming the gravel to remove any dust that had settled.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

If it coincided with the introduction of the ceramic rings then I would say that you hadn't rinsed them enough, although I have never rinsed new ceramic media and not had a problem.
Add a good wad of filter floss in the final stage of your filter to catch the dust.
Do a couple of large water changes as well to help the process along, vacuuming the gravel to remove any dust that had settled.

What's filter floss

Easiest just Google 'Aquarium filter floss'.
It's used as the final polishing stage of filtering. It usually only takes up about 10% of the filter and I replace it at every filter clean. This small replacement does not affect your cycle. It can be rinsed and used again but I don't find it as effective. It's really cheap as well if you buy a roll of it rather than the pre cut pads offered by manufacturers.

Easiest just Google 'Aquarium filter floss'.
It's used as the final polishing stage of filtering. It usually only takes up about 10% of the filter and I replace it at every filter clean. This small replacement does not affect your cycle. It can be rinsed and used again but I don't find it as effective. It's really cheap as well if you buy a roll of it rather than the pre cut pads offered by manufacturers.

Thanks I'll need to get one

I went to wal mart and spent $10 on a huge bag of pillow stuffing which is the exact same thing as filter floss. Its a lifetime supply of it for me. Just make sure it's 100% polyester with no mold inhibitors.

Back
Top Bottom