Please help identify outbreak!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mokrytzki

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having an outbreak but I'm not sure if it's fungal or bacterial. It started as small white spots on my angel fish but only fins not on the bodies. Now it seems to have spread to my neon tetras. It is on a couple of them. Find deteriorated, white, one has a sore on its body and another has something on its mouth. All fish are acting normal. And it has not spread to all my other fish (yet). The tank is a couple years running. I am not sure of water parameters as Ido not have a test kit. 75 gallon community tank with weekly 30 % water changes, never missed. Please help.
Thanks for your time.

Your Tank

I am having an outbreak but I'm not sure if it's fungal or bacterial. It started as small white spots on my angel fish but only fins not on the bodies. Now it seems to have spread to my neon tetras. It is on a couple of them. Find deteriorated, white, one has a sore on its body and another has something on its mouth. All fish are acting normal. And it has not spread to all my other fish (yet). The tank is a couple years running. I am not sure of water parameters as Ido not have a test kit. 75 gallon community tank with weekly 30 % water changes, never missed. Please help.
Thanks for your time.

Hello Mok...

Pure water conditions are the best thing for your tank. If you're not removing and replacing half the tank water at least every couple of weeks for a large tank, you should consider it. Smaller water changes leave higher amounts of dissolved nitrogen (fish wastes) in the tank water. These levels will build to the point it will stress your fish and they become easy hosts for parasite infections. Healthy fish in pure water conditions are very seldom, if ever infected.

If you believe your fish have an infection, then raise the temperature in the tank 10 degrees, start changing a lot of water and do it every few days. Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. Most parasites will live in the substrate.

Follow this protocol until you see improvement.

B

Thanks for the advice, should I treat with Melafix or Pimafix? Or both?

Thanks for the advice, should I treat with Melafix or Pimafix? Or both?

Neither will work.
At this point i cant tell wether its fungus or Bacteria.
Good news is you can treat for both.
Look for an antibiotic called Kanamycin and a product called "fungus Cure"
Do a partial WC before and use as directed.
Kanamycin may be hard to find or expensive, but its the best for bacteria.
You can find "fungus Cure" (Furan Green or "Nitrofurazone") at walmart for like 5 bucks. Start with that but don't touch the water its irritating to skin, do the world a favor and dump the chemical water outside in the grass rather than down the toilet after and during treatment.
Good luck.
If you absolutely cannot find Kanamycin you could use maracyn-2 (minocycline)
which is usually avaliable at most chain pet stores.

Would a UV filter help? I have one I just don't turn it on very often. Perhaps I will put it on a timer.

Probably not at this point, their already infected, uv is just for keeping water clean right? idk really never used one, but personally i would go with the meds i suggested. I know that it sounds like random advice from some noob, but trust me i know my stuff. Been in the hobby 5 years, use to have a fishroom with 30 tanks and sell to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom