please help me choose a dwarf cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nicely done :)

Almost all the fish labeled as vieja are really line bred macmasteri.

Also, just a heads up that if his water really has that much calcium in it Almond leaves won't do much for him. My tap is like this too. Only way to soften it or lower pH is to mix it with tap.

Yes there are only 2 or 3 people in the states that have actual viejita. Hopefully it won't be long before I can get my hands on a pair as long as I don't have to drain my bank account to do so.

It's in a 7.4ph tank, it's most likely just some funky color strain? .. the water is the same across the board here apparently as I've done my research. Dude wants something cool and I was just throwing it out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Everyone wants something cool, but it is best to dip your toes in the water before jumping in head first. On the other hand he's your friend and we have taught you a lot:cool:
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes there are only 2 or 3 people in the states that have actual viejita. Hopefully it won't be long before I can get my hands on a pair as long as I don't have to drain my bank account to do so.
I have been looking for years with no success.

They must be tough to spawn or they would have spread by now.

I have been looking for years with no success.

They must be tough to spawn or they would have spread by now.

They've only arrived in the last 4 or 5 months. If you were willing to drop some hefty coin on a pair, then places like Germany, Singapore and Hong Kong are where to get them. Unfortunately Americans are relatively cheap so we don't get a lot of the really nice stuff here. In Asia true viejita would probably pull in somewhere around 250 dollars a pair.

They've only arrived in the last 4 or 5 months. If you were willing to drop some hefty coin on a pair, then places like Germany, Singapore and Hong Kong are where to get them. Unfortunately Americans are relatively cheap so we don't get a lot of the really nice stuff here. In Asia true viejita would probably pull in somewhere around 250 dollars a pair.
I have probably spent money on stupider things in the course of my life :)

I have probably spent money on stupider things in the course of my life :)

Lol, you should see a womans face when you spend 450 dollars on a breeding group of biotoecus opercularis and after that they become known as the expensive minnows:confused:

Thorichthys socolofi, Cryptoheros nanoluteus or Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

so apparently, i do not have hard water and i am just a slob that needs to clean the tub. according to brookster and the state's water department, my water is soft.

that said, thanks again for all the advice. i have decided to go with the cacatuoides...likely a pair but hoping to maybe have m-f-f (every guy's dream).

so apparently, i do not have hard water and i am just a slob that needs to clean the tub. according to brookster and the state's water department, my water is soft.

that said, thanks again for all the advice. i have decided to go with the cacatuoides...likely a pair but hoping to maybe have m-f-f (every guy's dream).

Thanks for the LOL.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol, you should see a womans face when you spend 450 dollars on a breeding group of biotoecus opercularis and after that they become known as the expensive minnows:confused:
lol....my wife keeps fish of her own so she somewhat gets it.

lol....in the fish world we call it a trio which would be ideal in a 20l. Just set up some breeding areas on either side of the tank.

well, i told my girlfriend that i would name the female after her and the male after me (lame, i know)...not sure how i will explain to her a 2nd female, or what her reaction will be. could be interesting, ha.

well, i told my girlfriend that i would name the female after her and the male after me (lame, i know)...not sure how i will explain to her a 2nd female, or what her reaction will be. could be interesting, ha.
Just tell her it is that twin sister you have always wished she had. I am sure that will go over fine.......trust me. ;)

There's a fair chance they will pair off and kill the odd girl out so careful with the names;)

well i told her that there is a chance that she will beat me up once there are fry....

Get pics once you have them.
I would have voted borelli, but that is just because I think they are prettier. And if you are naming them after yourself and your gf, you would obviously want the prettiest ones....

those look very similar to the golden dwarves nannacara anomala i used to keep. i really liked those fish.

Not like I was there on my lunch break today... they didn't have much besides the macs, agazzi, and some random wc Lil guys..

Back
Top Bottom