please help me choose a dwarf cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful fish there, what species?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a "double red" apisto cacatoides. He's only still small, displaying excellent coloration for his size, the dorsal fin spike is already twice the size as the rest.. he's going to be a looker..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ha...the girlfriend likes the borelli's from the photos she has seen.

You are welcome for pictures. How long do you have before purchase time? I guess you can also see what they look like in real life and make see if the specimens of one type look healthier. I've gone in with a plan and had to switch because the fish I wanted were not looking so hot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are welcome for pictures. How long do you have before purchase time? I guess you can also see what they look like in real life and make see if the specimens of one type look healthier. I've gone in with a plan and had to switch because the fish I wanted were not looking so hot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They look great, drooled on the tank yesterday..

i am headed to ned's after work today, after a quick stop to let the dog out. will post up later on. hopefully ned will offer me a beverage.

i am headed to ned's after work today, after a quick stop to let the dog out. will post up later on. hopefully ned will offer me a beverage.

Haha, talk about service :beer::D:beer::cool::sly::sly::sly:

alright, i picked up 3 cacatuoides, 1 male and 2 females.

a couple nice ones in the batch of new arrivals, but a couple of them had a speck of white on a fin or two and was concerned it was possibly ich. ned's brother said he hadnt noticed it and said i might be right, so i went with the older shipment that had been there a while in another tank and looked totally healthy.

no pics tonight, sorry. acclimating them as i type this and will post pics later.

The orange? Which row? it wasn't from upper tank by goldfish pond in middle??

yes it was...there were two tanks with them there, the one to the right was the new batch, to the left was the older batch, which is what i bought from. the new batch was in with a school of neons.

not positively ich, but enough to keep me wary.

Oh, good, i got 2 from that tank too, they seem fine to me.

no pics tonight, sorry. acclimating them as i type this and will post pics later.
Is it later yet? :)

not positively ich, but enough to keep me wary.
Good call, when in doubt it is always better to wait. The only time I don't wait is if the fish is super rare and I decide to take a chance. When taking a chance though I will always quarantine even if I have to go buy a tank to do it.

i was more comfortable choosing a fish that had been there for a little while...the fish in the suspect tank had only been there 2 days.

i am at work now so i cant post anything. will later on. hoping the fish are a little more comfortable when i get home. they were staying out in one spot this morning and their colors were a little washed out.

trying to embed the video i took...hang on. not sure why it wouldnt post correctly the first time. may just have to link to it. bear with me.

Look good to me!

so just some observations:

the male looks a whole lot better this afternoon than last night or this morning.
he is going up to the females, flaring up his crest a lot, and often turning sideways parallel to the bottom of the tank...

the larger female keeps chasing away the smaller female.

these fish are a lot of fun to watch.

hey in the video i posted above, it looks like the male is blocking the larger female from going after the smaller female. i am starting to think he is sweet on her. for a while he was hanging with the larger one, but now he seems to be more fond of the smaller one.

Back
Top Bottom