Please help me do my first QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My new Regal Tang ("Prince") is being held for me at the LFS. He's 1 or 2 inches long. I've got a clear rubbermaid for a tank. I'm going to take a MJ900 out of my main that has had a foam filter on it for months and put it in the QT tank. I've got 5 gal of new SW being mixed. Should I do a PWC and use water from my main to fill the QT tank or use newly mixed water?

Since I have the Yellow Tang already, I'm probably gonna take a clear tupperware container, drill a bunch of holes in it, and put the Regal in there when I introduce him to the main. Let the Yellow Tank get used to the new arrival while he's protected.

Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong and which water I should use. Oh yeah, there will be a heater and PVC to hide in.

How big is the QT tank? Moving the filter is a good idea. I would use a mixture of old and new water. You need you watch your water parameters constantly. Have more than 5 gallons of water mixed. Buy you a 30 gallon trash can and keep water mixed in it (you will need it). Plan on doing daily water changes as your water will get bad quick. Invest in a poly filter. I thank that covers it...

definitely have plenty of water on hand.

IMO, you want the QT to be as close to the main tank in terms of temp/chemistry as you can to avoid a second stress once the fish comes out of QT.

How big is that clear rubbermaid you're going to use for the QT? If you can swing it without completely draining your tank, I would use all water from your main to fill the QT. As you said, doing a PWC. As you need to change the water in the QT, do the same, drain out 1-2 gallons from the QT. Take the same amount from the main and re-fill the QT. Then put new SW into your main to make up for what you took.

This goes a long way towards keeping the QT as close to the main in terms of chemistry and will make the final acclimation to the display tank much more successful. Obviously you will have higher levels of Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates but we all know there's a lot more to SW chemistry than those 3.

and of course... all of that goes out the window if you need to treat the QT for any ailments.

Be sure your QT has a few hiding places for the fish. Most folks will just by a couple 4" PVC elbows and unions for this. Don't use anything porus in case you need to medicate.

Back
Top Bottom