Please help! Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moon1029

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
2 danios, 3 tetras, 10 cherry shrimp, 2 ramshorn snails. 10 gallon hob filter, air stone, java moss, moss ball. I am cycled but getting nitrite spikes... Am I overstocked?

Shrimp barely contribute to the bioload. I don't think your spikes are because you're overstocked but I don't have any insight as to what could be causing them

Hi!

How old is your tank and how did you cycle it? How new is your stock? Any recent additions? What is your weekly PWC schedule like?

2 danios, 3 tetras, 10 cherry shrimp, 2 ramshorn snails. 10 gallon hob filter, air stone, java moss, moss ball. I am cycled but getting nitrite spikes... Am I overstocked?

You are NOT overstocked. How much do you feed? Are you sure it is nitrite that is spiking? It is ok for nitrates to get up to 40 or so, but if it is nitrite that is spiking there is a problem. Not sure what it would be, but it is not due to being overstocked. Double check your test results. Use a drip test as opposed to strips. Strips are just not accurate. And test your tap water to see if the source water is the problem. Also, I reiterate, double check to see if it is indeed the nitrite spiking. If it is actually just the nitrate getting up there you are ok. Just don't let it go overboard.

Nitrite is bad, nitrate not so bad.

The tank is 2 months into cycle. Cycled with the danios and ghost shrimp! Moved ghost shrimp at 4 weeks and added 6 cherries and 2 snails. Latest addition 3 tetras last week. I feed the fish once (sometimes twice) a day and 1 algae wafer for shrimps daily. I do use the drip tests (I got sick of driving to lfs to check h2o and I kept hearing the strips weren't accurate, which is what they use). My nitrates are low 5 ppm my ammonia is at .5 ppm (before pwc today with prime conditioner) ph 7.8 nitrites are between .5 and 1 ppm..... So could it be trying to cycle again? Would the 3 tetras make it spike within a week?

Back
Top Bottom