Please I need help with Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fbm224

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I hope you can help me today I found one of my molly (1year old) with red and white injuries, only on its left side. Previously I had noticed a small injure on my white molly but it's still small. All photos I took today, as you can see the other side is fine.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 20
Nitrates 0
Temp 80.5
PH 7.8

20 gallon high
setup over 2 months
Aquaclear 50

6 molly (3 are 1 year old, the rest is a few months old)
2 swordfish
9 Cardinals
2 rummy nose
15 approx red cherry shrimp

Weekly water changes approx 2 gallons.
last water change 6 days ago
most recent fish have been there 1 month (8 cardinals and 2 rummy nose)

Nothing new, except 1 week without DIY CO2

In the morning I feed flakes and recently started some pellets, and in the evening some gel food.

Thank you !

Edit: It's a planted tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
looks like a bacterial infection. brought on by poor water quality. sorry to say but 20 gallons isn't nearly enough for all those fish and 2 gallon water change is barely anything. to heal this you are going to need to do daily water changes of at least 5 gallons until it heals. do you have your nitrates and nitrites mixed up? nitrites should be zero

looks like a bacterial infection. brought on by poor water quality. sorry to say but 20 gallons isn't nearly enough for all those fish and 2 gallon water change is barely anything. to heal this you are going to need to do daily water changes of at least 5 gallons until it heals. do you have your nitrates and nitrites mixed up? nitrites should be zero

Yes I mixed them up, nitrate is 20, nitrite is 0.

Is there anything else I can do besides the larger water changes?

Thank you,

Yes I mixed them up, nitrate is 20, nitrite is 0.

Is there anything else I can do besides the larger water changes?

Thank you,
Welcome to AA! :welcome:

I have to agree, your tank looks pretty overstocked to me. If I were you, I would be doing 50% (10 gallon water changes) weekly regardless of the bacterial infection because your tank is so heavily stocked. 5 gallons daily is fine, like aquandrew said until the infection goes away, I think. (Although, I know just about nothing about how to treat bacterial infections! :lol: ) You may want to look into re-homing some of those fish. (I know how it feels, I had overstocked my 10 gallon tank with 3 balloon mollies and I had to give them back to the pet store, and I still miss them! :bawl: )

Thank you Platiesareawesome,

I have just made the second water change, and she looks a little better today, less red and more animated.

I'll think hard on how to reduce the stock, to be honest when I bough the cardinals I expected a high death rate due to a bad past experience, I expected 4 or 6 to survive, but all of them did :).

Back
Top Bottom