Pleco for my friends 65 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so my friend has a 65 gallon it's fully cycled with 6 zebra danios. And he asked me for advice for a pleco because he loves plecos he has two bristlenose plecos/catfish in his 30 gallon. Well we were in our LFS together and the ones that stood out were L200 the green phantom pleco and the gold nugget pleco. 8 inches and 6 inches long. We both liked those but I said to him that I haven't got the experience to recommend him a pleco so here I am asking for your advice. The tank specs are
120cm - 40cm - 50cm
EFX300 Filter (the British equivalent of a fluval 306 I think)

I dont know much about the green pleco that you spoke of but I do have the gold nugget pleco, very very shy don't expect to see it often. Do know it can grown to 14 inches but unlikely in a tank but a risk to take and upgrade if need to be as I do have the same tank size as your friend and plecos are a poop machine which im sure your friend knows since he got the bn but average size of gold nugget in a tank(so im told) tend to be around 8 inches, but it sound as if the pleco who is already 6inch might out grow the tank is he a baby? Cos when I got mine it was no bigger than 2inch and ive had him about 6 months and now maybe he is slightly more than 3inch and they are suppose to be slow growers

Mine is a poop machine too. I never see him eat anything which had me concerned at first, but everyday there's more poop in the tank, lol.

i think the starlight pleco is a more accurate name for the peppermint pleco. and i love the green phantoms and gold nugget. you should get both because they look great together with their colors.

i think the starlight pleco is a more accurate name for the peppermint pleco. and i love the green phantoms and gold nugget. you should get both because they look great together with their colors.

So u think the green phantom and the gold nugget will have the room in my friends 65 gallon.

Both in that size tank really? wouldnt the bio load be sky high once they get big and the water change will have to increase to two times a week?

um i dont think so they'll be fine i have 5 green phantom in a 70 gallon tank with a eheim canister filter for a 100 gallon. i check the water every week and its still fine for 2 years already. the canister filters are really good and i think that the 306 is meant for a 120 gallon if im correct so you wouldn't have a problem especially that it is a 65 gallon only with 6 danios and 2 plecs. dont listen to newbies (get it.. wasnt trying to be mean).

um i dont think so they'll be fine i have 5 green phantom in a 70 gallon tank with a eheim canister filter for a 100 gallon. i check the water every week and its still fine for 2 years already. the canister filters are really good and i think that the 306 is meant for a 120 gallon if im correct so you wouldn't have a problem especially that it is a 65 gallon only with 6 danios and 2 plecs. dont listen to newbies (get it.. wasnt trying to be mean).

He didnt state what filter his friend had im assuming he has the minimum filter requirements for his tank and if thats the case having two may be too much unless he upgrade his filter and like I said previously I got the same gallon tank as his friend's and ive been told due to my tank size and filter which is 306 fluval and it was best to stick to one esp if it can grow to 14 inches everyone have different opinions and ive never said you were wrong either (have had fishes for years even thou ive titled myself as newbie cos there is always so much more to know)

It's a filter that's for a 100 gallon.

Sorry re read your first post and realise that u did state what filter your friend had I guess your friend could go along with two if he wanted to base on the other guy saying it be fine which im assuming he is correct but for me I doubt I would add the two together knowing the GN could run out of room in that tank when its fully grown but then he can upgrade tank or sell the GN if needed to be

Sorry re read your first post and realise that u did state what filter your friend had I guess your friend could go along with two if he wanted to base on the other guy saying it be fine which im assuming he is correct but for me I doubt I would add the two together knowing the GN could run out of room in that tank when its fully grown but then he can upgrade tank or sell the GN if needed to be

Isn't its max size 6 inches?

Isn't its max size 6 inches?

Hiya i have doubt checked, if its the Gold Nugget pleco that im thinking of then max size is 14 inches cos I had to do a research cos I wanted one as loved the colouring of the nugget... and I know if it ever get to the full size I will have to upgrade my tank and ive got the same size tank and filter as your friend they do say its rare it get that big but you do have to take that in to account due to the footprint of the tank he will not be able to turn well but they are suppose to be slow growers so it should be years before they get that big but who knows the choices is totally up to your friend as I made the choice of having one in mine for now he is perfectly happy but years to come maybe not and im aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom