Pleco ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pleco and I was told it was an ancistrus aka bristlenose but I think it's something else. Like one of these guys. It has the same patches along the tail and dorsal fin. I'll get a pic of it. Now the patches are white also and he's spotted all over with no nose bristles.the one under the boat is my pleco

Attachments

• image-569079831.jpg
    image-569079831.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 360
  • image-2750807441.jpg
    image-2750807441.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image-3099015243.jpg
    image-3099015243.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 105
Not sure what kind that is. The yellow and black looks awesome tho :)

I have a pleco and I was told it was an ancistrus aka bristlenose but I think it's something else. Like one of these guys. It has the same patches along the tail and dorsal fin. I'll get a pic of it. Now the patches are white also and he's spotted all over with no nose bristles.the one under the boat is my pleco
How much did you pay for him?? I can't put my finger on it but those guys sell for $100.00+! Snowball.... Snowspot... what was it??

Well I was told it was an ancistrus bristlenose but I am thinking it's the snowflake pleco just by the way the tail and dorsal fin look. He's still young so I am unsure. I only paid $5.99 for him.

Chronos313 said:
Well I was told it was an ancistrus bristlenose but I am thinking it's the snowflake pleco just by the way the tail and dorsal fin look. He's still young so I am unsure. I only paid $5.99 for him.

If its a snowflake and you only paid $6, you got the deal of the century. Good score.

After taking another look, he looks like my bn pleco. Is he black or more brown in color? Any white in his fins?

Edit. Here is a pic of my bn. Does yours look similar?

img_1926685_0_45bae6a3e0962673c744cc1fc25ef371.jpg

He's got white on the tail and dorsal fin. He looks more brown, but could that be because he's still a juvie.

Chronos313 said:
He's got white on the tail and dorsal fin. He looks more brown, but could that be because he's still a juvie.

Look at the pic I posted in my edit.

Fairly similar but I can't see the tail and dorsal fun very well but dang they cute

Chronos313 said:
Fairly similar but I can't see the tail and dorsal fun very well but dang they cute

Mine is a female I believe since its not developing any bristles. I can see a couple stubs when it is stuck to the side of my tank but, that's about it. By far my favorite fish.

You would be able to tell if it was snow ball or nugget because of very distinctive features. This is my trophy fish. A gold nugget pleco. He was only 1 inch when I got him and his spots were true gold. Blue spots is a phantom. White is a snowball, vampire, or Adonis Pleco. Look on www.aquascapeonline.com . They have a lot of breeds you can use for identification.

You need to ID because a lot of pleco don't touch algae and require driftwood, and meaty foods (eg. My gold Nugget).

Sex in plecotomus is normaly only 100% when the pleco is mature. Roundish body = female. Flat head looking from the side = male.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom