Pleco or otocinclus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mottoman216

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setup my first fish tank back in October. 55 gallon tank. 8 corydoras, 3 white skirt tetras, 6 platys. Very small rounded river gravel substrate, fake plants, driftwood, bio rocks. Airstone, x2 Aqua Clear 70 HOBs.

I've recently noticed brown algae growing on the glass and on my fake plants. Alot of it. I've been scraping it off here and there but it keeps coming back.

Should I get 1 bristlenose pleco or say 5 to 6 otocinclus for my tank / setup? Which would be more suitable or easier to keep happy? Thank you!

Otocinclus love brown algae. They are amazing algae eaters as well.

Thanks for the reply. Are they pretty easy to take care of? I'll obviously be supplementing their food. Do they like sliced zucchini? Still learning the ropes here so I'm trying to stick with novice level fish.

I've not had luck with them, they are usually wild caught. Yes they like veggies.

Ah, didn't think about that. Seeing as they are mostly wild caught it would probably be difficult to get them to eat typical veggies in the fridge... I assume anyway. I'll give it a shot anyway, if they refuse to eat veggies I'll just take some rocks out + tank water out in a container, put it under one of my grow lights to produce algae.

Any experience with bristlenose plecos lol?

No unfortunately. I hear plecos aren't actually the best thing for algae. What about nerite snails? They won't breed in your aquarium but you will see eggs. Great algae eaters. Mystery snails are good as well, very fun to watch.

No unfortunately. I hear plecos aren't actually the best thing for algae. What about nerite snails? They won't breed in your aquarium but you will see eggs. Great algae eaters. Mystery snails are good as well, very fun to watch.

oh! Didn't know about these snails. Again, noob here. I think you may have solved my problem! My local Petco supposedly has them. Thank you!!!

Second the snails instead of Ottos. You WILL definitely see eggs from the Nerites - they look like small white sesame seeds, but they're only fertile in brackish water so unsightly but thats it. Mystery snails are larger but you *may* get fertile egg sacs from them.

Second the snails instead of Ottos. You WILL definitely see eggs from the Nerites - they look like small white sesame seeds, but they're only fertile in brackish water so unsightly but thats it. Mystery snails are larger but you *may* get fertile egg sacs from them.

When doing water changes I like to add aquarium salt. I only add about half of the recommended dose. 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Will that be an issue with these snails since it's technically brackish? I don't want make tank over ran by snails lol.

Yes, it will kill your snails.

Hrm. I may have to do a little research then. I could probably do away with the aquarium salt... But I hear live-bearers like the stuff. Not exactly sure if it's necessary though.

I thought nerite snails can live in both fresh and saltwater?

Let me rephrase that. Your nerites will probably over populate your tank because they need brackish water to breed. Mystery or any other snails will die in brackish waters because the salt will dehydrate them.
Alternatively how long are your lights on for? Is your tank near a window? Maybe you can solve the issue without adding anything in the tank.

I'm also surprised your platys aren't eating the algae. I also have a 55g with platys, just2 juvenile mollies, 4 adults and a bunch of fry and 13 tetras, and my platys do a pretty decent job of keeping algae under control.
Maybe try adding a couple of female mollies, they also eat algae and like brackish water.

Let me rephrase that. Your nerites will probably over populate your tank because they need brackish water to breed. Mystery or any other snails will die in brackish waters because the salt will dehydrate them.
Alternatively how long are your lights on for? Is your tank near a window? Maybe you can solve the issue without adding anything in the tank.

Lights are on from noon to about 6 or 7pm when I get home from work. Unfortunately my tank is next to a window that has the blinds closed. Not direct sunlight but it does get what ever light filters through the blinds.

I was looking at a uv sterilizer today at Petco but wasn't sure if that would help with diatom or brown algae. I may just get a few otos and drip acclimate them and pray they survive the stress of moving.

I'm also surprised your platys aren't eating the algae. I also have a 55g with platys, just2 juvenile mollies, 4 adults and a bunch of fry and 13 tetras, and my platys do a pretty decent job of keeping algae under control.
Maybe try adding a couple of female mollies, they also eat algae and like brackish water.

My platys won't touch the stuff on the glass. They definitely Chow down on algae wafers tho when I feed the Cory's. I try to change up their diets between flakes, bloodworm, brine shrimp pellets and algae wafers

I wouldn't do it. Otocinclus catfish don't have scales, that makes them sensitive to salt in the water.

Okay. Is there any downsides to having live bearers in freshwater only? I may just stop salting my tank and wait a a few weeks doing 50% water changes every week. Then add the snails.

My tank is 100% freshwater and my fish are doing great. I'm surprised you aren't having issues with your corydoras.

Yeah the Cory's are doing great. My 2 albinos love taking turns darting across the tank, my juliis keep laying eggs but the other fish keep eating them including the Cory's. My 4 Peppered Cory's are kinda skiddish if you approach the tank too fast but they are active and constantly scrounging around for food.

I'll do away with the salt.

Only reason I was using the stuff is because the Pet store clerk told me that half dose of salt would be beneficial to live bearers are harmless to corydoras as long as I let the salt is dissolved in a cup of tank water and then slowly added in.

Back
Top Bottom