Pleco - Small yellow growths on mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Birdcop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a new marble sailfin pleco that I purchased last week from a LFS. He is finally calm/happy enough to start swimming around and sucking on the sides of the tank. Thats when I noticed that he has some small yellow warty-looking growths on his lip. I haven't seen this before and it doesn't look like anything I've encountered.

He is currently in a 10 gal quarentine tank all on his own with driftwood and a plant. He is getting 50% water changes every other day w/ water added from my established tank. His temp is about 80 (cant change due to preset therm.) I'm using a Fluvel U2 30 gal filter. He is getting no medications at this time. There is no gravel in the tank. he is getting alage wafers, and although I have not seen him eat they are disappearing.

I don't have parameters at this time. Will post soon if needed.

Seems active (swimming around lots, dorsal fin upright). Breathing fine. Eating.

Should I be concerned?

At this time after some research I suspect lymphocystis or a growth (although there is a lot?) or maybe a parasite? Any guesses and does it look contagious? The bumps look individual and more formed then most fungal diseases. Almost like tiny eggs.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 198
That's the most bizarre growth I've ever seen I think. It does look like eggs. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. I don't know much about fish ailments but I need to learn more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doesn't really look like lympho IMO?
I would be doing salt or MB bath / dips if not treating the whole tank(fish is in QT).
I have seen others with the same issue but it was never officially IDd?

Having a closer look, the growth has the same color and texture as the inner lip, maybe it's just a deformity.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. I will look into the fish bath. I do hope it is just a deformity or growth though. I'm really growing to like this guy. he is my first pleco

Any updates on this? Is the situation any better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom