Pleco that doesnt eat algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a peppermint Pleco in my tank and apparently he's too good to eat algea. Lol. I have quite a bit in my tank and would like to add another fishy friend to get it under control before it gets too bad. I would like to know what everyone thinks would be a good addition. It's a 20 gallon long with 4 bloodfin tetras and 4 cories plus my Pleco. I am going to try and breed some ghost shrimp soon so that might help and take care of it but I wa wonder what everyone's thoughts where. Sore sorry for any misspellings. On my iPhone and it isn't keying me see anything below the line tht says good addition

You could try a brushy nose pleco. They do really good on most types of algae. Maybe your peppermint just doesn't like the type growing in your tank. Some plecos need more veggie matter in their diet compared to others that like some protein mixed with theirs.

One of the best algae eaters around are nerite snails. They can't reproduce in freshwater and will eat diatoms, green spot algae (which nothing else will eat), and green dust algae (what you find on your glass, etc.) They also won't add anything to the bio-load in your tank. If you have alot of algae you could do 5 in a 20. One thing tho... how long are you leaving your lights on for? Do you have plants? If you have alot of algae you should try to find out why and try to correct the problem. Just a thought.

Yes Ido have live plants. 2 amazon swords, bunch Of hornwort and a moss ball. One of the swords is even starting to grow some daughter plants. I don't have too much algea. It's not out of control of anything. Just my Pleco isn't eating it so I want to get something that would. My light is on about 10 hours a day probably. Turn it on when I get up or a little but after and off when I go to bed.

Plecos only eat certain types of algae. It's entirely possible that what you have growing is now something that he's interested in.

Back
Top Bottom