Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dunno, can you? :angel:

In all seriousness, you need to give a bit more info before that question can be answered, namely stocking levels already, what sort of filtration you have, and what sort of decoration you have and are willing to add (a lot of plecos need driftwood). So....

Stocking levels? Filtration? Driftwood?

Only a pitbull or a bristlenose pleco. Any others will grow too big, those only get to around 3inches

In my opinion, even a bristlenose will get too large. I don't know about pits.

In a 17g, if you really want cleaners, Ottos would be the only things you could get, and they perfer to be in schools of a least 5 and alot of plants so that really wont work either. All pleco will get to big for a 17g.

Why do you want a pleco? If it for algae then I would say not to get one. They are NOT great cleaners, and have a large bio-load. You could get some snails or shrimp to help cleanup.

Pitbulls are good small plecos to get, when happy they are quite active. Best to get driftwood for them and try to have 3 or more (but obv with a small tank be careful you don't overstock).

Pitbull plecs only hit an inch and a half to two inches and are hardier than otos. Keep in groups of 3+. However, I don't know if they're more effective than Nerite snails at keeping algae down--should find out in the next couple months :D So do you want plecs for looks or utility (or both?).

Back
Top Bottom