Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdKoi

Aquarium Advice Freak
So recently noticing some growth in my pleco, and with that, noticing maybe he’s not what I thought he was...

This pleco was sold to me as a common pleco, and maybe it’s just me but it looks like more of a high fin spotted pleco than a common...?

Picture isn’t great, and don’t adjust your tv, we're experiencing technical difficulties with the water lol

Attachments

• C232A32A-0561-4833-9247-35E72F01CB8D.jpg
    C232A32A-0561-4833-9247-35E72F01CB8D.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 26
Interestingly the october edition of practical fishkeeping has an article about how 90% of store sold common plecos (plecostomus plecostomus) are actually a handful of species of pterygoplichthys with p.disjunctivus and p.paradalis being the most commonly traded. These fish have just become known as common plecos even though they arent true common plecos.

I will add that your photo does look like the photo of a true common pleco that is in the article.

Last edited:
Interesting. One of those wonderful grey areas in the hobby lol

Bought this one at petsmart and according to their identification it looks to me like it more resembles a high fin spotted than their flavour of a common :huh:

KOBEaCO.jpeg

Yea that’s what I’d expect one to look like too.

This is what petsmart calls a high fin spotted. Very similar to what they show as a common, but with the ‘split’ dorsal fin (which mine has, hard to see in the pic)

Attachments

• F3E95FD3-0318-403E-9A6A-036D326C9E61.jpeg
    F3E95FD3-0318-403E-9A6A-036D326C9E61.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 22
Either way it is a nice looking pleco; pity it will require a 200 gallon tank in a couple of years.

Love how everyone on this site always brings negativity to peoples posts in regards to tank sizes or choices of fish (everyone’s got a hate for goldfish lol)

This guy is going to have roughly 750,000gal to live in next summer. It’ll be fine...

Just to make your head spin, the pleco is in a 29g with ~20 comets :lol:

Interesting; the current largest freshwater aquarium is only 440,000 gallons; there is a 12.9 million gallon aquarium but it is salt water. It will be very interesting to see this 750,000 gal aquarium. Do you plan to put it in your living room ?

Love how everyone on this site always brings negativity to peoples posts in regards to tank sizes or choices of fish (everyone’s got a hate for goldfish lol)

This guy is going to have roughly 750,000gal to live in next summer. It’ll be fine...

Just to make your head spin, the pleco is in a 29g with ~20 comets :lol:

Who said anything about a living room or an aquarium. Checkmate :cool:

Attachments

• 0B8CBA9A-30EA-46D5-8452-F2B00D0290B8.jpg
    0B8CBA9A-30EA-46D5-8452-F2B00D0290B8.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 18
Not heated and the koi and other pleco in there do just fine so far.

Bulking up the comets a bit before they go in, they’ll go out in the spring. The little guys are just too easy of a snack for the birds and the koi probably wouldn’t be opposed to snacking on them either

Interesting; the current largest freshwater aquarium is only 440,000 gallons; there is a 12.9 million gallon aquarium but it is salt water. It will be very interesting to see this 750,000 gal aquarium. Do you plan to put it in your living room ?

There you go, being negative!

I recently bought a Fluval filter from a lady that has a 14 inch Pleco in a 29 gallon!!! She doesn't want to get rid of it or buy a larger tank. Now, that's being positive. :facepalm:

Lol yea I’ll be moving him out of the 29g a few days before he’s 14” long

Who said anything about a living room or an aquarium. Checkmate :cool:
I hope thats artificial and private. Cause this guys mess up with nature. They are messing florida lakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol here we go with the negativity again

Yes it’s a legal waterbody. They’d have to swim on land for half a mile to hit the nearest watercourse

Lol here we go with the negativity again

Yes it’s a legal waterbody. They’d have to swim on land for half a mile to hit the nearest watercourse
Negativity? Reality.
Plecos are messing with florida lakes. Thats it. No negativity.
Go on, do what you love, just dont mess qith our home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh yes, nothing negative about digging this up 3 weeks later just to say the same thing. Better yet it’s not even a relevant concern, as already stated it’s a closed water body

Back
Top Bottom