Plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millertime410

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. A couple of you already helped me with electrical suggestions, thank you. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and so want to make sure I have what I'll need for a 200+ gal reef aquarium plumbing-wise. There is coincidentally a hot and cold water supply from a very old-time concrete shower that I eliminated. Should I leave these supply lines intact? For a RODI filter system? Any RODI suggestions or alternative suggestions? I would need to extend stubs out of the framing to be able to use this.
Thank you...Jim

Sure. You'll need a feed anyways. May as well use ways there and save a couple bucks. Set up the hot water as well. If your source water comes in as cold as mine in the winter you'll want a hot water trickle to save the membrane.

I use old washing machine hookups for my ro/di unit. I've used BRS and currently running an aquatic life twist ro/di unit. It's as simple as just screwing an adapter onto the 'faucet'. You might want to get yourself a pressure gauge, as 90 psi is best for ro/di water creation, and a TDS meter to go on your clean water to help gauge when its time to change out resin and filters. Both are cheap and easy to add on to any ro/di unit. If you're low on PSI, a booster pump is equally cheap and easy to install.

Thanks, is the RODI unit something that can fit into a 6ftx2ft aquarium stand or would the sump tank fill most of that (on that note, what size sump tank should I have for 200gal?) ? I could mount that RODI further away but still within 6ft of aquarium. I simply want to have the plumbing stubs done at this stage.

You'll want a mixing barrel for wcs I'd think? Maybe another for topoffs. They do need attention so mounting it somewhere easily accessible will save your back. Behind the scenes is where mine lives. It requires a drain as well.

Well, you don't have to have the unit right by the aquarium. For my setup, I keep things separated. I have a 5 gallon bucket for waste water, a 5 gallon bucket for top off, and a 25 gallon brute trash can for pre mixed water change water. All nicely stored in the basement and I just haul 5 gallon buckets upstairs.

RODI

How high should I place the water supply plumbing/stubs for an eventual RODI filter? Anything else I should consider location-wise or otherwise before I finish drywalling the basement?

4-4.5'? You'll want them below the unit. I like mine at chest height, ease of maintenance, those chambers can take a little torque to loosen/tighten. Level plane with shoulders

Back
Top Bottom