Plywood tank... is it safe???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29g now with mbunas but I will need to be upgrading soon. I have been youtubing and have seen some plywood tanks. Would that be something worth looking into. I know its a tone cheaper but is it safe. it will be 75-100g and liquid rubber to water proof it.

thanks

How do you see into it?

I have no idea about your question though. It doesn't seem like it. Even though you would add liquid rubber.. one small leak and there's rot and the whole thing would give way.

I was thinking maybe you could lay each side flat after you cut it to size and make a "wall like" structure around each piece of plywood with 2x4 and dump Epoxy on each piece..the wall keeps the Epoxy in place untill it dries and you remove the wall.. it might give you a few inches of water resistance...obviously the side with epoxy would face inside...maybe that will work? I am unsure... just my inital thoughts

I've never seen one done with liquid rubber, but here's a link that should be helpful Do It Yourself.
There are more of these tanks around than you would think, I'm actually thinking about one myself.
the site is very use full I think I stumbled across this site awhile ago actually thanks for the link.

I think you need like six layers and the liquid rubber is like paint and the edges I could use something else. The only reason I am fighting hard for the rubber because its cheep enough to screw up and it works it holds water. Plus it dries black so no back ground issues. Ive seen it work and hold 237g for 3 years according to the guy who made it. So its something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom