Plz help babies maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
My bumble bee isn't eating a lot and is swimming around like its mouth is full. Which surprises me cause I though it was a he? Or maybe it is a he and its swollen from lip locking? It's a cruddy picture but hopefully someone can please tell me whether I should be getting a fry net or something??

Attachments

• image-3732934370.jpg
    image-3732934370.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 181
It looks like she is holding to me. You might want to consider a fry tank if you get the net make sure you add some sand to the bottom otherwise the others may try to get the fry

Oh crap so he's a she!? Why won't she eat? I'm worried. I've never had babies (ok I'VE had babies just not baby fishes) Is it strange that I want to know which one of these lil buggers knocked her up!? Lol! What do I do? I can't get to the city tonight. Is there anything I can use household wise? Do I try and catch her and keep her in the net? Sorry so many questions I've never even thought about babies!

It will take over 2 weeks for her to spit so you got time. She won't eat cause she has eggs or babies in her mouth depending how long shes been like that. eating will cause them to fall out. Just leave her be till you get a net then put her in and when she spits take her out and leave the fry in

I may have screwed things up then. I put her in a two gallon should I leave her in there? Or put her back in the big tank with the other fish? My qt is full with fish for my sons 33 we're cycling right now. All my other tanks have fish with big mouths!

Attachments

• image-3277661563.jpg
    image-3277661563.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 162
She should be fine in there until she spits the babies out and then take her out and leave them in there. You might want to put a sponge over the intake though so they don't get sucked up

It's a strange intake its the backside of the tank. It's a fluval so the filtration is built into the tank. If I put a sponge to cover it then she will have even less room. It's just a small hole I'll try to get a shot of it. I have the lights out to help reduce her stress. If you look where it's all black and then there's a little bit of white that's the intake. Do you think it will be ok?

Attachments

• image-2341222263.jpg
    image-2341222263.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2594651311.jpg
    image-2594651311.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 140
Oh they're so tiny! Oh my gosh they would definitely be food if I kept her in the other tank. My next purchase is going to be one of those glass boxes you stick in the tank. Way easier than scrambling around trying to syphon water and get another tank going!

Congratulations by the way!! Sorry I'm still a little frantic and not thinking straight. My mind is going a mile a minute and I'm trying to think which boy it was to picture what the babies will look like.

Those are about 3 weeks old so you can imagine brand new size. My box hangs on the outside and uses an air pump to move water into the tank once they are about an inch I will try and sell them

Should I look for one like that? Instead of the kind that sit inside the tank? I don't ever want to be so unprepared for this again. My nerves can't take it. You would've been laughing to hard at me fumbling around with one freaking hand trying to set all this up. Never mind when I was trying to corral her in the big tank my splint thing is completely soaked. It's a good thing I keep up on my maintenance otherwise it would stink too.

From what I found the ones inside the tank sink to the bottom and I didn't want that. I originally had an orange crayfish in the plastic one and the fry in a net one in the tank. Then the cray was big enough to go in another tank so I moved the fry into there so I can see them better

The challenge for me is going to be the price, if the fancier ones are more expensive I may have to settle for a simple set up instead. I've seen mesh ones that hook onto the side of the tank, what do you think of those ones?

That's what I had, make sure to put sand on the bottom or something g or the others might try to eat them through the net. The net ones are like $10 and the plastic ones are like $15 plus an air pump (smallest one works fine)

Oh good to know! I don't want them thinking the babies are a snack wrap. I have a stupid question with the ones that go in the tank would I still have to catch the female when she's holding and put her in it or would the babies swim into it after she spits them in the tank? I really think all the thrashing about may have stressed her and now I'm worried about the little ones she's holding. Also do I continue to feed her even though she's not eating? Or is the not eating something I should be worried about too??

Back
Top Bottom