Plz help babies maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol! Thank you everyone. I'll try to get some pics later on. They're still pretty small. (Some more so than others) I do think (I have names now yay!) the albino ice blue cichlid and the bright orange zebra could be the dads. Some of the babies have white stripes instead of the black like my bumble. Others are showing the bright orange with the bumble stripes. It's going to be very interesting to see these babies when they start to colour up more.

Guess who is pregnant AGAIN!? Yep! My bumble bee cichlid! I just put her back into the main tank like what 2 weeks ago?? I'm not going to have anywhere to keep this new batch of babies her first batch is still growing out!

Can I put mom in with her other batch? Or should i wait until she spits again and then transfer the babies? I know her mouth is full so she won't be eating her first babies but will it effect the fry or the new batch in any way to have her in with them?

Wait till she about spits, strip them a d keep the fry together. They should be fine. Or leave her in the main tank and let nature do its thing

I don't think I'm comfortable enough to strip her. I think I'm going to put one of those breeding boxes in the main tank and go that route this time. See how she goes that way. Then after she spits I'll just put the new fry in with the older fry. I think I should probably put an ad up somewhere for these babies. I'm kind of considering trading mama bumble too. I don't think I'm cut out for so many babies. Lol!

I don't think I'm comfortable enough to strip her. I think I'm going to put one of those breeding boxes in the main tank and go that route this time. See how she goes that way. Then after she spits I'll just put the new fry in with the older fry. I think I should probably put an ad up somewhere for these babies. I'm kind of considering trading mama bumble too. I don't think I'm cut out for so many babies. Lol!

Trust me stripping is not hard at all. Easier than dealing with babies stuck in the back of a fluval! You could do it. But the breeder net works too. I know the feeling I have ruby greens with mouth fulls all the time and kribs with a new group of fry every few weeks, but i just sold them.

Lmao! Yes that wasn't fun at all! Bloody fluvals are so tiny back there! I put mama bumble in a breeder box inside the tank where her first batch of babies are. She's not liking it at all! I'm wondering if I were to take her out of the box and just let her swim around with her first babies if she'll eat them? Or how it would effect this new batch? Any experience with doing that? Think it will work?

Lmao! Yes that wasn't fun at all! Bloody fluvals are so tiny back there! I put mama bumble in a breeder box inside the tank where her first batch of babies are. She's not liking it at all! I'm wondering if I were to take her out of the box and just let her swim around with her first babies if she'll eat them? Or how it would effect this new batch? Any experience with doing that? Think it will work?

Yea they don't typically like the breeder boxes. I don't think she will eat any of the older fry but it will stress them out with her all over the place. Plus if she spits in the fry tank she might get hungry before you notice she spit them out. I would just keep her in the box.

Ok I'm keeping her in the box lol! Thank you. I'm going away for the weekend and am so afraid she's going to spit while I'm away. I've been seriously considering stripping her before I go. The thought of it terrifies me though. I've researched how to do it and am afraid I will hurt her or the babies doing it. Any tips or tricks you could share with me to make the decision easier for me?

Nope it's pretty simple. You would have to really squeeze her to hurt her. One thing though open her mouth and a few will come out then they will probably stop. Put her back in the net then do it again in a few seconds and more will come out. Repeat until your confident they are all gone

I'm afraid she will wiggle and I'll get her in the eye with my fingernail.

No mine didn't wiggle at all. They aren't as strong as say a bass on the end of your line. Two fingers on each side and you should be good.

And then I open her mouth with my finger tips and dunk her up and down in the tank to swish the babies out? Or just open her mouth in the water until they swim out?

I'll let you know if I work up the courage to give it a go. Lol! I'm thinking I'll wait until Friday and if she hasn't spit by then I'll have to decide whether I want to risk being away when she spits or strip her before I go. One more day. I'm really hoping she spits lol

Maybe (if I end up doing it) it won't be as scary to me. Right now its making me think that I'm playing doctor and giving her a c-section or something lol

Back
Top Bottom