Polleni Ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I introduced a pleco into the tank about two weeks ago. Everything has been running smoothly. But, I just looked at my tank and the polleni isn't moving, seems to have an almost white film covering him with little dots and glazed eyes. The pleco also appears to have white dots on it, but is moving. I have had the polleni for four years in a 90 gallon tank 2 of them by himself. If its ick what should I do to treat it?! I've never had this issue before!

It kind of sounds like you have ich and fungus, but the white could just be extra slime coat.
You can turn the temp up to 86* for 10 days, and it should get rid of the ich. Turn the temp up about 2* every hour. It will look worse before it looks better. Make sure you keep the temp up for the whole ten days, to kill all the ich, since you can only kill it in it's free swimming stage.
Good luck!

Raised the water temperature to 87 and added aquarium salt, how often should I do water changes and how much at a time? Tank is 90gallons.

That depends on if your tank has gone through the nitrogen cycle or not. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Also, warmer water has less oxygen, so you will need more surface agitation. You can use a bubble stone, or lower the water level in the tank so the filter hits the water surface harder.

Back
Top Bottom