Pool Filter sand for rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkuzel

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just wanted some opinions on attempting to change over from small to mid size gravel to Something like pool filter sand? I know not to change it all at once, I'm not a total noob. I just heard it'd make for happier fish... Anyone have any clue the easy way to do it? Or if it's even worth it at all.

I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef (will not alter pH/KH). It is cleaner and safer than other types of sand. It also comes in multiple colors. I use either solid black or black and white mixed.

Vacuum the gravel out really well two days in a row. After the second time (before you refill the tank) scoop out all the gravel. Pour in the sand, make sure it settles, then refill and turn your filters back on. You can do it all at one time.

Makes sense, but I guess I'm not understanding how to do this with fish in my tank, currently. I've never done an overhaul like this. I also have a fully planted tank. The way I was planning on doing it, is maybe removing half of the gravel substrate, and adding sand on top? or do you think it'll just make a mess?

Do it all at once. The fish can stay in the tank. Before you pull out the gravel pull out the plants. When the sand is in you can put the plants back in.

Do like a 50 % WC? And the sand just needs to be rinsed? Do you really think it's worth it? Like is it just an aesthetic purpose? I'm sorry very curious. haha.

Vacuum out the gravel really well one day, and again the next. The % water change isn't important, just clean the gravel.

Sand is much more natural. Effectively all of the fish we keep in the hobby are from waters that have sand (or finer) as a substrate, not gravel.

Sand is also cleaner. It keeps debris on top. If you have enough flow the debris will keep moving until the filter grabs it. If you don't have enough flow you will get a few piles of debris and all you have to do is hold the gravel vacuum over those piles and they will lift right up and get sucked out. Although you can get some very fine debris in the sand over time, it is nothing compared to gravel. Some people stir it occasionally or before a water change, but I don't do this. I am sure I would stir some stuff up if I did, but it is not bad enough to worry about.

Estes' Ultra Reef doesn't even need to be rinsed, just pour it in the tank. It will stick to the surface and bubbles at first, but it is pretty easy to get them all to settle. This is all the work you will ever have to do for this sand.

Dark substrates and backgrounds cause the fish to increase the actual amount of pigmentation in their skin. They will be physiologically more colorful. The darker background and substrate will also show off these colors better. The mixed black and white looks good, is dark, but still hides any debris that may settle on the bottom.

Thanks so much! I found the darker background worked better. I have black gravel, and a black background. So I can use any sand (Fish sand not play sand) meant for freshwater or salt? You've been so much help. Bare with my stupidity. haha.

I would only use Estes' Ultra Reef/Marine Sand. It is extremely uniform in size which avoids many sand problems like compaction, stirring up easily, not quickly sinking. Almost any LFS can order it if they don't have it in stock. I haven't seen another sand I would use.

Alright! I work at Petco, I'll see if I can order it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

Just get PFS. It IS by design uniform in size. It HAS to be for its function. It also has to be VERY clean to function as a filter in pools. Don't waste your money on fancy "aquarium" sands. It's all the same stuff. I'll bet you 30 bucks that it even comes from the same manufacturer.

I'm all about Pool filter sand. I think the color is great, it's super cheap (I get mine for $1.99/50lb at Meijer, but its generally no more than $10/50lb other places), and it's really easy to clean. The waste and leftover food stays on top of the sand making it really easy to vacuum. Not knocking the suggestion above, but I can't see myself spending more than the cost of pool sand for sand that really has no added benefit IMO.

Nope... Don't plan to either. Like I said, I'm not knocking your suggestion. I have no experience with it, so I don't have anything bad to say about it.

No, but I've used many different varieties of sand and to me they are all the same. Silicone dioxide is silicone dioxide. It's the label you pay for, not the stuff inside. I don't mean to sound rude, I really don't, I just feel that for all intent and purposes pool filter sand is a better deal and is aesthetically pleasing to boot.

I hate the color of PFS, so that is a huge downside to me. And the polymer coating on the Estes means no brown algae problems (not always a problem for everyone, but it has been a big problem for some). I think the Estes' is slightly larger than other sands too, so it sinks faster, allows oxygen to the entire sandbed, etc.

If you guys ever get a chance to check it out do so, even if you just look at it in the bag at the LFS.

For about the same cost as gravel it is more than worth it to me.

I'm slowly transitioning to potting soil in my tanks... or at least in my current build. I'll check it out, but in all honesty, I'll most likely never buy it. Only reason I say that is because I can put 3" of PFS in my 150g for $6. Can't hardly beat that anywhere

I met a guy local to me who swears by potting soil for planted tanks. He runs a site, fishtanktv.com, and says its the greatest thing ever. His tanks all look amazing, so I figured I'd try it out. I'm just setting my tank up, and haven't even put the dirt in it yet, but there's a guy who has a build thread on here using dirt (Marconis I do believe)

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. Never thought of using anything natural... haha Duh. I have heard people use old dried leaves though, to balance out water chemicals.

look up mineralized top soil. It's a popular way of using regular soil for aquarium substrates. You need to cap it with sand or something though.

Back
Top Bottom