Pool filtered sand HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help I put pool filtered sand in my 30g and it looks like this thank god no fish were in it!!! PLEASE HELP!!! Did I get the wrong sand or whatImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400448910.878358.jpg

Did you wash the pool filter sand out first?? If not thats the small particulates floating around. Give it a couple of hours and it will settle. And with your net try to pick up the floating debris. And if you want you can do some partial water changes as well

Yes I rinse it for an hour!!! And I have two filters running also. When I do water change and sophin it just stirs up again

Tanks generally look like that when filled with substrate - it shouldn't last more than a few hours.

Are you sure you used pfs? Where did you get it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you do water changes dont siphon from the bottom just near the top. And when u add water dont let it pour out soo heavily so it doesn't stir the sand soo much.

It's the brand of sand, I have a pool and I won't touch that sand (already got burnt)

I also disagree with not stirring the sand and drawing from the top.... the dust has to get out and now is the best time.

The best sand out there is AquaQuartz, big course sharp sand, very little dust and less compacting on actual pool use.

If you're impatient, go buy a bag and you'll see the difference, it's only $13 and sold at pool stores and Ace Hardware.

Or else just give it time, siphon from the sand to remove the dust and it will settle.

oh wow...
I picked up a bag of PFS at my local Pool Supply Store.
I rinsed mine but probably not as long as I should have.
When I slowly poured mine in (filters and air OFF) I noticed some clouding. I let it go for less than an hour and then turned the filter on and in a couple hours it had cleared up. Not sure if the filter sucked it up...the stuff settled or when i added water.

It was crystal-clear the next morning.
and at the end of the week I cleaned the filter to remove the buildup (I had gravel and did a substrate swap)

My bag was $12. at Ace it was going to be $13. not sure what brand. It was a clear bag with Black printing on it.

What's your filter media? Try using just filter floss for a day or two, then toss it when it fills with the dust from the sand. Between that and settling, it should clear up within a day.

By the way, make sure HOB filter intakes are not near the bottom where they might take in sand which will destroy your impellers. When filling during a PWC let the water flow into a cup or plate and it won't stir up much sand.

What's your filter media? Try using just filter floss for a day or two, then toss it when it fills with the dust from the sand. Between that and settling, it should clear up within a day.

By the way, make sure HOB filter intakes are not near the bottom where they might take in sand which will destroy your impellers. When filling during a PWC let the water flow into a cup or plate and it won't stir up much sand.
Try the above advice. That's what I would do. A few back to back 50% water changes will help. With sand the longer you wash it outside the tank, the less issue like this you will have......

Try the above advice. That's what I would do. A few back to back 50% water changes will help. With sand the longer you wash it outside the tank, the less issue like this you will have......

Skip the 50% change and go straight for the 100% :) When you fill the tank use a bowl to stop from making a mess again and clouding up your water.

Skip the 50% change and go straight for the 100% :) When you fill the tank use a bowl to stop from making a mess again and clouding up your water.
Yeah do the 100%, I thought the OP had fish in it!!!. In one of the pictures, do I see an airstone on the sand???

I've already got tank all clear the next day it was still cloudy I pulled all sand out and cleaned it more the next day it looked like this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401122605.092407.jpg and now it look like this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401122634.066740.jpg

Amazing. It looks awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom