Poorly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carleyr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have three fish in my freshwater tank. All goldfish. They have not been very well. The have suffered tail rot and we have treated this and purchased ph and ammonia test that sit in the tank. The levels of each seem okay on the test strips. One fish is showing signs of improving and swimming around but his skin and scales look bruised. The other two fish are just hiding and don’t seem to be doing very well. They don’t swim about or do anything else. We have been advised by pets at home to minimise things in the tank but not to make it completely bare. I’m lost of what else to do. We have treated for white spot and parasite as to begin with they had white spots, yesterday we treated them with a product called healthy fish produced by love fish company which is sold at pets at home. The ammonia level was a little high when we did a water change yesterday and we have added ammonia removed from the same company to reduce these levels. We have also added aquarium salts. What else can I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 22
What kind of gold fish are they all if they are commons ? the others they will need a massive tank.

Goldfish prefer cold water if you have a heater you can take it out they get sick when they’re stressed and heat makes them stressed.

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? Do you know what cycling is?

Do you feed your fish one type of food? Or multiple.

Do you turn off the lights at night?
If you leave the lights on all the time that can cause stress and lack of sleep. If you read the above text you know what stress does it make the fish susceptible to illness.

How big are your gold fish?

does the one that DOESN’T hide chase the others? And nip at them?
If it does that causes stress and hurts the fins and that’s when fin rot happens.
You know how people can get sick if they don’t protect their cut. Well this is kinda the same the gold fish are having a cut and a illness like fin rot sets in.

The tank is a 100 litre tank. We have an asap 700 filter in the tank. The uv light is turned off every evening and all through the night. We have no heater in the tank as we are aware that they like the cold water. They are just common good fish all three the same. The one that swims around is the largest but we have had them about 8 months now and they have all been fine together it is only these last few days that two have started to hide. The one that doesn’t hide is the only one that seems to have what I can only describe as bruising on his skin/ scales.i am aware of the cycle and what this is, we have an ammonia reader in the tank that tells us the constant ammonia levels and we also have one for ph in the tank. We do regular water changes 20% each week and when we noticed they were stressed like this we did an immediate 50% water change. We feed the fish pellet food from pets at home. That swimming fish is the largest as seen in the picture the other two are smaller than that one.

Back
Top Bottom