Pop eyed tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed last night that one of my glowlight tetras has popeye. You can definitely tell because well......both of his eyes are popped out of the sockets. They're not cloudy though....which is what the other symptom is correct? I dont think it's gotten to be that bad(at least I hope not) and i've included a pic so you guys can tell me what you think and what I should do about it. I'm going to pick up a quarantine tank today and some supplies so I can hopefully isolate the problem.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1192/0527070930bxc1.jpg
(56k Warning)

EDIT: Also, here are my params(just in case anyone asks):

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 15 ppm

It looks pretty bad. I would try to treat it. I actually just had a female glowlight tetra lose an eye as well. Her eye did not get big, but it did get cloudy. There is a hole where her left eyes used to be but she still swims fine, eats fine, and other than missing an eye is perfectly normal. When she swims she almost rolls over though. I feel bad for her because I didn't know how to treat the eye. I guess she is lucky that she hasn't had an infection in her eye yet. I thought about euthanizing her but she is doing fine without her eye.

Ack....I think he might have ich too. He's got a white cottony growth on his forehead x.x

Put him into QT and do and treat for the fungus. Keep an eye on the parameters in the QT tank. Good water will go a long way in healing his eyes.

Thanks for the help. He's in QT and i'm treating him with maracyn 2. His fungus looks smaller already. How should I go about doing water changes(nh4 is >.25) and disenfecting the bucket I used to acclimate him in?

What size tank is the QT tank? If it is 10 gals or more use a regular gravel vac if it is smaller you can use airline tubing if you want. For disinfecting the bucket, clean with a bleach solution, 10% bleach, rinse well and use dechlorinator after the rinsing.

Update:
He's looking horrible! His spine looks curved and he's swimming sideways and gasping at the bottom. I dont think he's going to make it. I've been adding medicine like directed and the ammonia in the qt tank isnt high so I havent changed the water.

The curved spine is a very bad indication. When you say the ammonia isn't high, what is it at exactly? Have you tested for nitrites? First thing to do is a water change, test your nitrites and ammonia before changing the water and change out 50-75%. It doesn't sound good at all, but the water change can't hurt the situation any at all.

Back
Top Bottom