Popeye on goldfish from injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's actually a 3 gallon pot that i've always used for water changes. I think the largest thing I could possibly use is a cooler.

Or should I go for medicating the whole main tank?

Was the fish originally alone to start with? The fish is probably stressed out. Next time, I would bag the fish and acclimate it into the hospital tank instead of plopping it in, but we all make mistakes. If the fish is alone in the main tank already, just treat the main tank to make life a whole lot easier for your fish and you.

George9 said:
Was the fish originally alone to start with? The fish is probably stressed out. Next time, I would bag the fish and acclimate it into the hospital tank instead of plopping it in, but we all make mistakes. If the fish is alone in the main tank already, just treat the main tank to make life a whole lot easier for your fish and you.

It's got 2 buddies is the problem.

Dang I didn't even think of that.

The fish came from the main tank that had 2 others in it and now it's in the QT by itself.

Oh and I don't think I over medicated. I measured out 3 gallons of water and dissolved the packet into 10 tsp of water. Then I put 3 tsp into the tank (directions said 1 packet per 10 gallons of water).

sobersteve323 said:
Oh and I don't think I over medicated. I measured out 3 gallons of water and dissolved the packet into 10 tsp of water. Then I put 3 tsp into the tank (directions said 1 packet per 10 gallons of water).

Alright then, sounds like stress. I agree with George. Go ahead and treat the main tank, I know your treating for ich, but hopefully you'll be ok.

There might be, look on other websites. But I don't think so. Are there any plants in the main tank? Or invertebrates, like snails. The maracyn may harm the plants and probably won't but there's a slight chance it will harm invertebrates.

There might be, look on other websites. But I don't think so. Are there any plants in the main tank? Or invertebrates, like snails. The maracyn may harm the plants and probably won't but there's a slight chance it will harm invertebrates.

Just a replaceable plant (it was the only thing that I changed in the tank before the original ick outbreak!).

Since the other goldfish and blackmoor seem to be strong and healthy, no reason to worry that they might get sick from using maracyn+super ick cure?

I just want to fix the problem :(

Ok, spent the last half hour googling the use of Maracyn and API Super Ick Cure together and no results.

Going to try placing the sick fish into the main tank and medicating the whole thing.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Update. So I decided to wait a little bit before adding her back to the main tank and treating the whole thing.

She is no longer floating at the top of the QT (still on her side, but at the bottom) and she seems to have calmed down quite a bit. Still breathing hard but not gasping like earlier. Going to keep her in the QT overnight and hope for the best.

On a side note. Since there's no filtration in the QT, I'm planning on doing a partial water change every day. What % should I be aiming for (3 gallons total).

sobersteve323 said:
Update. So I decided to wait a little bit before adding her back to the main tank and treating the whole thing.

She is no longer floating at the top of the QT (still on her side, but at the bottom) and she seems to have calmed down quite a bit. Still breathing hard but not gasping like earlier. Going to keep her in the QT overnight and hope for the best.

On a side note. Since there's no filtration in the QT, I'm planning on doing a partial water change every day. What % should I be aiming for (3 gallons total).

About a 50 daily so you don't stress her out.

The fish seems to be doing better today. Breathing is a lot calmer than last night. She's still on her side at the bottom of the bucket and she keeps trying to right herself. Is there anything I can do to lend a hand or just let the maracyn run its course?

Also, she hasn't eaten in almost 2 weeks. Should I try to give her a flake or pellet or wait until she's rightside up? I'd hate to pollute the water if she doesn't eat it (I'd try to get the food out of course).

I just realized it was recommended earlier to use maracyn and maracyn2. I only have maracyn in the bucket atm. :facepalm: Should I go purchase maracyn2 and use together? If so, do the recommended dosages stay the same?

Also, the box says maracyn2 helps with "fish that aren't eating." Is this a specific illness or is it because the fish is feeling better so the appetite comes back?

Back
Top Bottom