Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuck popeye.... Clean water and maybe salt? Best I've heard.

But year very very hard to overcome.

Caleb

I never have either. And ive checked all my blues... None are afflicted. You know darned well you dont have to BUY from me sini. Just let me get a heat pack and ill send you the parental proven pair. Yuuup... Those bad mamma jamma's. They are yours.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a female GBR die from this symptom, she also had clamped fins , and had no control of swimming, stayed up to the surface more, it was my first experience with , Popeye Exophthalmia is what what I read on that internal disease, but no other fish were infected???

Clem.

I had a female GBR die from this symptom, she also had clamped fins , and had no control of swimming, stayed up to the surface more, it was my first experience with , Popeye Exophthalmia is what what I read on that internal disease, but no other fish were infected???

Clem.

Believe popeye is typically due to water quality...?

Which I have faith Sini here is diligent with his water quality :) so many the angel already had it when he got it?

Clamped fins in your case Clem is also a big red flag for water quality problem.

Caleb

Clem.

Yup. The frustrating thing is that she's also stopped growing. The male is sizing up nicely while the female has stopped growing, so even if she recovers I don't know what the long-term effects will be....

She's acting ok, not great, but she does seem to be getting worse in terms of behavior, she's getting less active. Ugh....

Shouldn't be a water quality issue. Nitrate has never gone past 20 in that tank, it's full of plants and I do 50+% water changes every week. And of course it didn't already have it because Poppa has good water quality too. I think it was just random bad luck. Diseases just happen sometimes.

Sorry to hijack, buddy.

Believe popeye is typically due to water quality...?

Which I have faith Sini here is diligent with his water quality :) so many the angel already had it when he got it?

Clamped fins in your case Clem is also a big red flag for water quality problem.

Caleb
That was awhile back Caleb, my tank had a number of issues at that time. I had to medicate for cotton mouth on my harlequins, but yes my water parameters were off, and water changes were at a constant.
I think when I was cleaning out some dead debris, I stirred up the substrate a bit and it polluted up the water. That's when a day latter I noticed the GBR was sick, and wasn't sure what it was until I looked it up. That's what might of caused her death?

Clem.

Yup. The frustrating thing is that she's also stopped growing. The male is sizing up nicely while the female has stopped growing, so even if she recovers I don't know what the long-term effects will be....

She's acting ok, not great, but she does seem to be getting worse in terms of behavior, she's getting less active. Ugh....

Shouldn't be a water quality issue. Nitrate has never gone past 20 in that tank, it's full of plants and I do 50+% water changes every week. And of course it didn't already have it because Poppa has good water quality too. I think it was just random bad luck. Diseases just happen sometimes.

Sorry to hijack, buddy.

Hijack away sini. My thread is a place to come see my tanks and talk abt yours and mine. Cant hijack a kamikaze... Im fixing this for you ASAP. I'm mortified that has happened to you with one of my fish. .. Consider yourself PROVEN PAIRED. Your getting my breeding pair that i had shipped in from mylasia.

Sorry to hijack, buddy.

Could she have hit her eye on something or the male fought with her?

Not sure if this information will help but here it is
Pop-Eye Treatment
•If more than one fish in the aquarium have pop-eye at the same time, then it is likely a water quality issue. Test water parameters and do daily 30% water changes for 4 or 5 days.
•If the eye was injured by scraping it on a rock or by a fight with another fish then the best thing to do is to quarantine the fish in a hospital tank. The fish can be treated with Maracyn or Maracyn II to prevent or eliminate infection once in the hospital tank.
•If both eyes are affected this is more likely a bacterial infection. Remove infected fish from the main tank and put them into a hospital tank. Treat the hospital tank with Maracyn or Maracyn II. If you cannot catch the fish to place it in a hospital tank then the main tank can be treated with Maracyn or Maracyn II. This is not ideal because it kills off beneficial bacteria in your main aquarium.
•Some people have reported success with treating the water with aquarium salt (around 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water). You can use this treatment in combination with antibiotics and water changes.
•If water changes, antibiotics or salt treatments do not seem to be working after 4 or 5 days then the cause may be viral in nature or ichthyosporidium, excess blood gases caused by nitrogen supersaturation (what divers get when they come up to the surface too quickly). If either of these are the case there is no real treatment available. You can just try to keep water quality up through water changes.

I've been using salt for a few days now for lack of a better option at the moment, and water quality has been good. Just one eye is affected, and only one fish has it. Maybe it's viral? I don't know what she could have scraped her eye on. I doubt it's ichthyosporidium. I guess my next option is to get ahold of some maracyn.

Taking a looong lunch break to get some stuff to the P.O. and heading to new homes.

This new schedule is killing me. Everything keeps getting pushed a few days later... Sheesh! Im gonna get entirely caught up in the next 2 weeks and nix shipping for a bit.... At least until things on the job front settle down.

sini use Epsom salt along with the regular salt,or just skip the regular.
FW gave it to you from text accurately.
Bacterial if not injury and IMO much like dropsy a symptom more then issue itself.
Not always water quality as we all should know by now some bacterial issues like columnaris LOVES clean water.....
The Epsom salt may be best and most effective used in a strong bath/dip.
It can also be added to main tank with less issue then regular salt.
It will aid with osmoregulation and fluid exchange which may relieve pressure on eye?
It is fluid build up behind the eye.
Good luck.
I have only saved few fish that showed popeye.

Good info in this link;
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/popeye.aspx

Gotta pick up some epsom salt tomorrow. Regular seems to have done nothing. If epsom salt doesn't work, but the fish is still alive, what should I do? Keep trying treatments? She doesn't seem to be suffering badly but she's also lethargic and has stopped growing.

Clean water with anti biotics and the Epsom salt if you choose to keep treating.
Kanaplex IMO instead of tetracycline.

Just caught up in this thread...wow. Your fish and tanks are awesome!!

Updates coming this weekend... I feel like my work kitchen has become MY fishtank. As in i live in it. Im easy to care for though.... Just do daily coffee changes and watch me go. 65 hrs or so this week.

Many things excite me, especially new stuff in those tanks of yours. I have to live vicariously through you guys until I get more display tanks going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom