Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gonna try asking again. Hopefully someone has tried this before and can tell me if/where my fancy high dollar schematic would fail.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im gonna try asking again. Hopefully someone has tried this before and can tell me if/where my fancy high dollar schematic would fail.

What is it that you are trying to do? Are the tanks next to each other, on top of one another, in another room from each other? :confused:

Next to eachother shotgun style (deep). On a stand same room. The schem should show that its all in a row.

The water bridges would be gravity fed syphon style. Pvc.

Ohhh so you want to bridge 3 tanks?
That's risky bro, if something quits in the chain you're cleaning..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know. But i can put a 75 gl rubbermaid underneath to catch disaster. Im planning/ brainstorming. so all real advice is welcome. Basically i have several fluval cannisters in box in garage. But im only needing 20s & 10s right now. Would like to use the fluv cans instead of purchasing ACs for these tanks.

What if you each one an inch lower? Get a little more assistance from gravity?

Tiers??? I like it.... Would HOB overflow boxes work as a waterfall system?

Don't see why not? Look pretty cool too.

We used to do tanks this way and the danger, as brookster mentioned, is that if one siphon goes offline, you got problems because the canister filter is still blowing until there is no more water to suck in. You risk both the carpeting on the floor and the canister filter. A better way came with the invention of the wet/dry filter. Have each tank individually drain into a common sump and let the canister filter return go into each tank. Just make a PVC line and attach the filter return to it. You get 3 airline valves for the returns or if the filter is powerful enough, get some ball valves so that you can adjust the return rate to your liking. This way, you reduce the problems in the long run. ;) (y)

The overflow box idea might work but i don't know if the 1 inch drop might not be enough to come out of the bottom of the overflow box.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The overflow box idea might work but i don't know if the 1 inch drop might not be enough to come out of the bottom of the overflow box.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed... I was thinkin abt 3" tiers.

Just to throw some ideas around, if you used an overflow box, you would only be skimming water off the surface and not really getting good agitation inside the tank. If you used siphon tube(s), you can adjust the length to take water from the bottom of the tank, where most water really needs to be removed from, and you would have better filtering of all the water in the system. Not sure tiring the tanks would change this.

I love your dress, it really brings out the color of your eyes! How's the grub there? I've been to some where it made my own cooking palatable. ?

? Here's a new day with another opportunity for things to go well.

I thought i looked danged good in that spital Gown.... I dont do dresses. Go Gown or go home. Lol

Overflow to sump.... I figure a 65 gl sump oughtta cover disaster for 3-20gl tanks. Im cooking ideas here.... Love input. Just looking at ways to work multiples in 1 cannister. So 3-4 pisto tanks. 1 cannister etc...

What happens to lowest tiered tank if power fails and gravity doesn't?

This is an issue with siphon fed returns but not with overflow drainage. The highest leve. of the lowest tier just needs to be low enough that it can handle the excess water from the tanks above before the siphon breaks or stops.

Overflow to sump.... I figure a 65 gl sump oughtta cover disaster for 3-20gl tanks. Im cooking ideas here.... Love input. Just looking at ways to work multiples in 1 cannister. So 3-4 pisto tanks. 1 cannister etc...

As I mentioned above, this works for an overflow system not a siphon fed system. In a siphon fed system, the siphon would break because the levels of the tanks are different and when the electric comes back on, the top tank gets overflowed by the canister filling it but no drainage from the tank. You overflow the tank and the fish can go with the flow. :eek:

Keeping in mind I know nothing of siphon/overflow/sump mechanics hence why I haven't messed with them, what if the tanks were drilled and connected by bulkheads a few inches below water level? Maybe with the final tank draining to a sump with the canister intake? Does that not remove the siphon effect? I'm not wording that well, basically if the pump fails only above the bulkhead could drain but as long as the pump is running water should be fed through the bulk head?
Keep in mind I have no experience here whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keeping in mind I know nothing of siphon/overflow/sump mechanics hence why I haven't messed with them, what if the tanks were drilled and connected by bulkheads a few inches below water level? Maybe with the final tank draining to a sump with the canister intake? Does that not remove the siphon effect? I'm not wording that well, basically if the pump fails only above the bulkhead could drain but as long as the pump is running water should be fed through the bulk head?
Keep in mind I have no experience here whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Having tanks drilled eliminates about 75-95% of overflow issues IMO.
I really never worry about any of my drilled tanks(which all but one WATER BRIDGE/SYPHON every drop of filtered water to next chamber of filter.
I think syphon failures are much higher on low flow as opposed to higher flow.
Niether my 180 or 75 water bridged filters have EVER failed for me(2-4 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom