Porcupine puffer eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a new porcupine puffer, he is in Qt and i noticed that both his eyes have specks on them and are not clear. It dosn't look like cloudy eyes to me, Just wondering
if it is normal or not. It really reflects when the lights are on

Thanks.. Lou

Attachments

• DSCN1423.jpg
    DSCN1423.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 457
Doesnt look like anything I`ve ever seen. The specks dont look white like ich. Is he eating good?

probably just how it is, my porcupine have green/blue too
beautiful eyes XP
if puffer r stress, their eyes won't have other color, won't even reflect, just like its lost in the dark, don't know wt to do.
you should see blue or green start showing up when its settle down.

wts the size of your QT?

but I think yours looks more like

Spiny Box Puffer

than

Porcupine Puffer

here is my porcupine and its green/blue eyes
when it still a baby hehe
img_1023799_2_2e82f3d057a82ccdcce424a6d5e6ff04.jpg

img_1023799_3_405322a6db582903acf7d57e8aac1142.jpg

here is 1year later OoO~~huge
img_1023799_4_a71746eb6830f47a17441d23d774ac50.jpg

Thanks mel and match I feel better about his eyes, they do reflect green when I look at him just like in your pictures. He has been in a 10 gal Qt for 2.5 weeks now and eating fine, he is small but messy. and sooo cute.. :D

yea i know XD they look much cuter when they r small LOL
really messy...the baby I got...he ate 40 ghost shrimps in less than an hour OoO hehe
did yours eat red worms?
mine took me half year to make it give a taste of red worms, then another month to actually eat them, and it won't eat a single worm, it wants a cube of red worm = =""

are they good for beginners?
porcupine its very delicate fishes but IMO i think beginners with proper care will have no probably having ONE! <---
only ONE porcupine and it need a lot of space to swim and land (they like to land on the sand when they r full). minimum 75gal is need but 120 is recommended

get a small one about 2inches, build up your relationship with it, it will grow to 4~5 inches with in a year.

food: snails, shrimp, clams, red worm (some might require u to make it eat)

and if u r going for a porcupine, IME not much invert will servive. only small hermit maybe.
mine ate 3 cleaner shrimps, 2 big hermit crab, some smalls hermits, and it couldn't eat sw snails, but it gave my snails stress by trying to eat them, and my snails died in time.

they r really messy eater and pooper, so weekly water change is required as well. about 20%

2~3" feed everyday
4~6" every other day
6"+ weekly

they can grow up to 20"+ if you have the right enviornment.
I beleive they can live for 15years.

and remember don't use a net to catch it, use a container thats twice its size.

QT is a must for them, cuz puffers r really easy to catch ich.
if it sick when its young, it will most likely keep getting sick for rest of its life.
QT with proper treatment/care will prevent ich/disease introduce to your DT.
mine have ich during the time in QT and I gave him a FW bath for 2weeks, and its health till now.

let me know if u have any questions ^^

haha lucky you....

With a better diet you can watch its eyes turn to a blue/green spec. Those are beautiful eyes...Its fine.

I have a figure 8 puffer and hes got blue eyes! very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom