Possible 29 gal BW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I might be getting a used 29 gal. I was thinking of doing a half land half water brackish tank with some kind of waterfall. (Aaahhhh to dream that I have money). I am extremely broke at the moment so doing anything is going to take a while and needs to be cheep! I really want a puffer fish and I like fiddlers, but I think I might just be providing some expensive snacks for the puffer if I put them together. What does everyone think about it?

It sounds neat but I would either do the vivarium and get the crabs or fill her up and do the puffers.

I don't know enough about the puffers, other than they love snails and need BW to SW. I am also pretty sure that a 29gal would not be big enough for a puffer for very long. How quickly do they grow? anyone know?

Half land half water might work for a 29gal puffer tank. You could try a figure 8 puffer, but one figure 8 needs around 15 gallons of swimming space. Most people use a 20gal for one figure 8 because substrate and a bunch of decor will take up 5 gallons. A figure 8 will be almost full sized at LFS. I usually see them around 2inches, so another 6-12months for them to reach max 3 inch (assuming you have them in the right condition).

I'm not familiar with land/water setup, but I know that any invert will be eaten. That being said, maybe land/water setup might be pointless.

Not all puffers need BW/SW. I'm starting to have my own collection of FW puffers ;)

Puffers eat invertebrates. I wouldn't even bother trying the fiddlers with a puffer. You'd be better off to just do a brackish tank and skip the land feature, as a F8 or similiar would appreciate the space.

Half land half water might work for a 29gal puffer tank. You could try a figure 8 puffer, but one figure 8 needs around 15 gallons of swimming space. Most people use a 20gal for one figure 8 because substrate and a bunch of decor will take up 5 gallons. A figure 8 will be almost full sized at LFS. I usually see them around 2inches, so another 6-12months for them to reach max 3 inch (assuming you have them in the right condition).

I'm not familiar with land/water setup, but I know that any invert will be eaten. That being said, maybe land/water setup might be pointless.

Not all puffers need BW/SW. I'm starting to have my own collection of FW puffers ;)

I have yet to find a true full FW puffer. What are your kind?

I have a congo puffer that can bury itself in the sand. Look them up on youtube. I also have a brown puffer and dwarf puffer. They are all pure FW puffers. I'm probably going to get rid of my dwarf because they're so freakin small to me :p

I'm trying to get an arrowhead puffer, hairy puffer, and another red eyed puffer.

After the first 1-2 months, they will start getting use to you and then it will be easier to care for them. As long as there is over filtration and 50% weekly water changes, then you can easily care for one of these guys in a 20+ gal.

I am thinking of doing a brackish, half water, half land tank with fiddler crabs and bumblebee gobies. I haven't started yet, but that's the plan! :)

Please show and tell when you're done! I can't imagine it since I'm not good at aquascaping.

I will probably start a build thread when I get the tank. I'm new to all of this too, so I will have lots of questions!

TheMurrays said:
I am thinking of doing a brackish, half water, half land tank with fiddler crabs and bumblebee gobies. I haven't started yet, but that's the plan! :)

That is what I was planning. I have never done a BW or half and half. But I love fiddler crabs and was thinking if taking the plunge. Let me know how yours goes. I will need help along the way as well.

That is what I was planning. I have never done a BW or half and half. But I love fiddler crabs and was thinking if taking the plunge. Let me know how yours goes. I will need help along the way as well.

I just got a used 30 gal today. Going to begin the long process of cleaning it. I am thinking of starting a build thread so I can log my process, and of course ask questions along the way! I think it's going to be great.

I just got a used 30 gal today. Going to begin the long process of cleaning it. I am thinking of starting a build thread so I can log my process, and of course ask questions along the way! I think it's going to be great.

Sounds like a good plan.(y) I never started a build thread. But I never thought to use it like that before. I will have to check it out when you get started! Good luck and I can't wait to see your progress! :popcorn: (Then I might be able to steal some good info from it!)

Back
Top Bottom