Possible (fungal) Fin Rot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluttercygnetAndFishie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Possible fin rot and popeye :/

Please see my update post on the 2nd page for popeye info and water stats

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Gold ram- possible fin rot? See picture. (He is very small so it's hard to see outside of pictures)

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
I'm not sure at the moment because I'm at work. Last I checked, (which was Monday) Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: a little bit higher than 0? (I don't recall the exact number) Nitrates: 5 pH: between 6.5 and 7.0
Temp last night was 28.1 Celsius.
I know nitrites should be 0, but I think we're going through a mini-cycle because of all the changes. We've been doing more frequent water changes (and did a 50% change immediately after that reading)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
55 Gallon. The tank itself (with some different fish and some of the same) has been up at running for about 4 years, but we rearranged and changed substrate this weekend.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Some sort of very large Eheim canister filter. Similar to the Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter, but it might be shorter? Idk. My boyfriend has been dealing with it, so I only have a vague idea of what it looks like.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
See profile.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Monday morning, but did a quick mini change and vacuum yesterday to clean up the "poo" on the sand. We do 40% change every week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I have had the fish since Saturday. My QT is currently occupied by a Discus and an Angelfish and we had recently given away some of the larger (read: 7+ inch plecos) fish that came with the tank (got it from a friend) so most of the fish in the tank are new, but all quite small. Please don't get into the need for QT. I am working on getting an additional smaller QT, but I can't put anything in it til the filter media is ready.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Yes, we removed a large amount of (ugly) plant life, a huge algae covered "rock" and algae covered "mangrove root" and changed out the substrate. Still using the same filter and left pantyhose with some of the old gravel.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I don't have it all in front of me, but a mix of certain tetra brand flakes, pellets for the bottom feeders, and some frozen bw. I have no idea if I changed his diet since I just got him on Saturday, though I'm sure I probably did.

Attachments

• photo_zpsd83f9635.jpg
    photo_zpsd83f9635.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 89
Here is another picture. He was swimming in this pic (well swimming in all, but you know what I mean)

Attachments

• 8a1bad92de11e7bf8cdb5d6489bcf492_zps24119274.jpg
    8a1bad92de11e7bf8cdb5d6489bcf492_zps24119274.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 78
Well let's try this... When did you see a change? What did the tail look like before? Can you isolate into a QT tank?

Well let's try this... When did you see a change? What did the tail look like before? Can you isolate into a QT tank?

I think it looks the same as when I got him.../her. I got her on Saturday along with a few other fish (restocking the tank after getting rid of the few big ones that were already in there). I can't isolate him into a QT because I have a 4-ish inch discus in there.

Do you filter them or what? I don't have an extra filter. What else would I need to do?

I use a whisper internal filter, I have the 10 and the 40 and the size difference is like double. They are the most simplistic possible contraption. Easy to store and clean and the available media space inside allows you to seed the plastic "comb" with Beneficial Bacteria from a healthy tank to basically get an overnight cycle on the quarantine tank (don't use the sick fish's filter drippings!)

Also-- don't use the white whisper free pads when medicating- they have some bits of charcoal inside. Improvise, I have packed it with ceramic rings, filter foam, plastic plant decorations. The first time I needed to do a QT I got a living potted Anubias plant that my lfs had in an immaculate tank(I grilled him good before buying, and he dipped the plant for me too)

I used that to seed some flossy foam I wiped all over the leaves gently, enough to sustain the bioload of a betta with no nitrite spike

Bought mine for less than $15/$22 on a regular sale on drsfosterandsmith.com

Ps... The equipment used for emergency QT is accumulated by all the snap purchased equipment early in the hobby. I bought one of everything in the smallest size but learned by trial/error/reading that I needed double triple or ten times the size

*sigh* Popeye too???

Now he has popeye. It's only in one eye and his fins looks the same as they did 2 days ago. I don't understaaand. :banghead:

Tested the water:
Ammonia <.25 ppm
Nitrites <.1 ppm
pH between 6.5 and 7.0
Nitrates 10

Did a water change just to be safe, but he's eating (though seems to have some depth perception issues due to the eye) and being very active. Not lethargic at all.

I treated Popeye with maracyn2, look it up

I read that unilateral popeye is usually caused by injury. Should I still treat with antibiotics?

I had noticed that the bigger rams were kind of bullying him and all the other fish were stealing food away from him when he got it unless they were totally full. I wonder if maybe he got in the way of the bolivian rams eating and they hurt him? He's only about an inch long, so that wouldn't be too difficult. I'm still not entirely convinced he has fin rot because it hasn't changed at all and I looked at my video from saturday and his fins looked the same then too, but I hadn't noticed because he was so itty bitty.

Okay, the best I could do (in Germany) was a more general type of antibiotic type thing. Does anyone have any input about using it for unilateral popeye?

What type specifically does it say? Probably not easy to translate...

Okay apparently not an anti-biotic. Tetra medica lifeguard. All of the other boxes that were def antibiotics only had one thing on them. Like the fin rot one was for that and missing scales and such, but no mention of popeye. Anyway, bought the little guy a big ol' tank to recuperate. (Why not?)
I seeded it til it looked like there MUST be some bacteria in there ;)
I made sure there was no carbon filter. I added a bit of epsom salt to the hospital tank plus the meds. He was already cute and not hiding before, but he's been more energetic. As soon as I put him in there, I made sure to get his belly full (because he'd been struggling to get a good amount with the bigger rams in there). :) He's doing great and fins look the same. Not better, but certainly no worse!

Back
Top Bottom