Possible Host Coral for my Occellaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been entertaining the idea of getting a coral for my clownfish (Bogart) to host. I understand that not all clowns host etc. but if I wanted to better my chances what would the best choice be? This will also be my FIRST coral and therefor like it to be a hardy one as well. My initial choice was a frogspawn as they do not require super high light, nor a ton of flow. I have a 40g breeder with approx. 25-30 lbs of LR thats been running for about 3-4 months now. I have a 4x24watt t-5 fixture running 2 12k white and 2 blue actinics. Suggestions?

What brand of bulbs are in tour fixture?

The problem you could face here is if you managed to actually get the clown to "host" to coral, you will most likely end up killing the coral. Spawns, hammers, torches, they all have extremely sharp and rigid edges. As the clown bounces off the coral, it essentially causes the coral to stab itself.

I've heard elegance coral works well, but I don't know how hardy they are. Also, I've heard (but not substantiated) that this is one of the few corals that can deliver a sting the human keeper might notice. Feather dusters seem to work ok as long as they are well fed.

If you want it to host get it a anemone because your chances of it hosting a coral are slim. I have about every type of coral in my reef tank that a clown could host and they don't host any of them. Just get yourself a bubble tip or sabae if your lighting and water conditions can support it.

Here are some ideas from clowns in my tank.

Mushrooms
100_1358.JPG

Hammer coral
100_1013.JPG

Bubble coral
100_0638.JPG

I have seen them also on cauliflower leather corals, Brain corals and Green button polyps.

Thanks for all the input, I was looking at GBTA because the are supposedly some of the easier ones to care for. I was just thinking about a coral because I had heard they can be easier to care for, but if an anemone is the better for hosting I'll lean towards the GBTA. I have a 24" 4x24watt fishneedit T5 fixture over a 40G Breeder tank, what would be the best bulb choice, position in tank of anemone (I know it will move if it does not like the location), and any other important info I may need. I have researched both coral and anemone care and I know that anemones need intense lighting and question if I have anywhere near the needed lighting.

Any input on whether my lighting is strong enough or not? I really don't want to try a GBTA if there is no chance of it making it.

Mine like to host my light colored anthillia. I have several soft corals and they like this one the best.

iPhone fish eye photo, colony I was referring to is about the size of a soccer ball in the top portion of the picture. It is hosted by clowns.

Second picture is their apartment, it is the same octocoral, the female throws the male out of the big colony sometimes. Only downside is you have to keep this stuff cut back. It grows like weeds. But the clowns don't seem to bother it in any way. And it doesn't burn other corals. I far prefer it over anemones. They try to feed it and don't seem to understand this coral could care less. They grow in almost any kind of light, but prefer medium to strong if available, they get really long if the light is too low.

Attachments

• image-3301414855.jpg
    image-3301414855.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-136340281.jpg
    image-136340281.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I love the look of that coral. I was recently reading your algae scrubber post and gawking in amazement at your tank pics. A few questions about the coral though, will my 4x24watt t5ho lighting be enough? what would be the best bulbs to get? And is my coral beauty going to eat it? I know the dwarf angels are hit or miss with coral comparability but in your honest opinion/experience? Also I am a complete beginner when it comes to coral, is this a good coral to start with? If not what should I go with first? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I am very interested and want to really understand what I need to give soft corals for them to thrive.

Chris J said:
I love the look of that coral. I was recently reading your algae scrubber post and gawking in amazement at your tank pics. A few questions about the coral though, will my 4x24watt t5ho lighting be enough? what would be the best bulbs to get? And is my coral beauty going to eat it? I know the dwarf angels are hit or miss with coral comparability but in your honest opinion/experience? Also I am a complete beginner when it comes to coral, is this a good coral to start with? If not what should I go with first? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I am very interested and want to really understand what I need to give soft corals for them to thrive.

In order of your questions;

The t5's will be fine.
I don't use t5's, have gone all LED, so somebody else can recommend bulbs. Need to know the type of fixture.
No, the coral beauty won't eat it and even if it did, it can outgrow the pestering. My coral beauty never touches it. Nor does my black tail and flame, all of which are almost 10 years old.
This is an excellent coral to start with. If you can't grow this, you have little chance with LPS or even SPS varieties. Just be sure to place it somewhere you can allow it to encrust onto rubble you can then remove to thin the colony. Once established, it grows quickly.

Soft corals need same as all corals, good water quality, good flow and proper lighting for the variety of coral you're growing. I suggest not trying any type of coral that only filter feed, as they are much more advanced in their care. These octocorals are able to grow with just light and whatever it can filter out of the tank water.

My clowns host an elegance for the last 5 months or do with no ill effects to the coral.

Attachments

• image-27277175.jpg
    image-27277175.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image-959654927.jpg
    image-959654927.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 68
@Gregcoyote - thank you very much for the info and experience. I think I am heading out to my LFS on Monday or Tuesday and will definitely check if they have an anthillia or other similar octocoral. I'm excited to delve into the reef side of the house and really appreciate your input.

On the subject of my light, it is a 24" 4.bulb fishneedit fixture 2 10k bulbs and 2 actinic, what would be the preferred bulbs for this light to grow soft coral such as the anthillia I plan on getting?

Back
Top Bottom