Possible predator in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahochan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a conch in my tank that has been there since I set the tank up about one and a half years ago. Yesterday, its shell was empty, and there was a hole pierced through the back of the shell. I saw it moving around normally two days ago.

I'm trying to figure out how this could have happened. The tank has a yellow-tailed blue damsel, a clark's clown (about 5 cm) and a royal gramma. Apart from that, there are some hermits, a urchin and a couple of small hitchhiker crabs.

I do hear clicking sounds from the tank occasionally, they've been there since I set the tank up. I've read that this could mean that I have a mantis or a pistol shrimp somewhere, but I've never seen anything like that. How big would one of these have to be to be able to pierce a 6-7 mm hole in a conch?

How many clicks do you hear? I have a pistol shrimp and I'll only hear one click (a warning click) mantis seem to click multiple times (rapid) , but I think at that point it is too late.
I have seen my hermits try to take out my conch but have been unsuccessful as they have a "leg" that can propel them out of danger.
A mantis can take out fish, depending on their size and the size of the fish.

I usually hear a few clicks in succession, but usually with a few seconds between. The lights going off quite often triggers a click or two.

Sounds like you have a mantis in there. You may be able to see it an hour or two after lights out using a red filter over a flashlight. Catching it is the next trick.

i think its honestly pretty cool that you have a secret predator in your tank. Obviously from a tank health standpoint, it sucks, but I still think its pretty amazing what can get into these SW tanks inadvertently

that is quite possibly the awesomest thing I've ever seen. Too bad it'll eat your whole tank systematically, if I had one of those I'd want to leave it around.

Really interesting how they have the best color vision in the world.

I've often looked around in my tank a few hours after lights out using a flashlight. I'll try that with a red filter as suggested and see.

So... how do I go about catching this livestock killer?
I just heard a click now, I think he's onto me.

You can try using a glass tilted against a piece of rock that is baited. Of course a mantis is capable of shattering glass, if that is what you have.:bandit:

Well... i'd still like to catch the bastard before it makes a meal of any of my fish. I have a small 10 liter tank I could use for him. Then again, Mantis shrimp sushi is pretty common here in Japan, and just happens to be one of my favorites :)

Any tips on catching?

Good luck! I hope you catch it without too much incident.

How much rock in this tank and can you remove it from the water for a bit? Thinking somehow if you knew the rock he was in, you could "hang it" somehow over a tub of SW. Maybe he'd have no water and fall into the water below.

Dunno. I guess since they can live in that same rock during shipment, that night not work. Just thinking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom