Possiblilty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i know

even tho it may kill the fish and i will feel bad i want to do a fish cycle thats what i did with the FW and i would really love to find a good strong hardy fish

preferably goby, mandarins, hawkfish's

pretty expensive well its under $100 without the fish and lr

a mandarin is like an anemone, think long time, goby wont make a cycle in my opinion, salt cycles are different from fresh, they are more harmful, i never cycled a fresh tank before, but i killed a damsel in a salt cycle, even though its a hrdy fish, my first cycle, adn i killed it, then i learned hermy and fishless, its the same wait no matter what, shrimp isnt a big loss, a fish would be

well can i get some inverts for the tank??

any recommendations?

proabbly wont be aproblem, depending on what you want, but you will definitley have to wait a few motnhs, 4? after the cycle, gotta let the tank age a while,

wait let me know im getting this correct

i can use inverts but i should wait to add inverts after my cycle???? :? now im confused

i want some hardy really hardy inverts for a newly cycling tank

mosts inverts are sensative to water quality. I added some mexican turbo snails and red leg reef hermits just after the cycle finished. Dont add too much as there will be a limited supply of "food" for them.

sorry, i misunderstood, i thought you were just wodnering if youll be able to do inverts down the line, not for the cycle, most are not hardy enough to make a cycle, the only one i know of is a red legged hermit, they are the big ones and i used it to cycle a tank before, but fishless is def the best way

ok now i can cycle with LR right??? cause thats what i read and they will be fine with NO lights? not any special and how many lbs of LR should i get?

and what type of lr do you reccomend? like gulf lr and such

Yes, you may cycle with LR. It is much better then cycling with fish. Cycling with fish is rather out-dated, not to mention very stressful on the fish. Rudy, this all just takes time. You may not like the idea of looking at an empty tank for a few weeks but its really the best way to go. Too many people rush this hobby (particularily the cycling portion) and they have a constant struggle keeping fish alive and water parameters acceptable. These are the people that ussually just give up on the hobby because it is too "complicated" or too "hard". When, in reality, it was their own inpatience that caused all of the problems. I stand by my reccomendation of a good book. It will only increase your knowledge and give you a great reference. I refer to several books on a weekly basis. I realize cash is tight with you so I suggest you check out the local library to get started.
I agree with everyone else on the anemone, wait, wait, wait. An i do not think a manderin will survive in a 29gal. They have very specific dietary needs and need lots (around 100lbs) of LR.

ok thanks

but you didnt tell me how many lbs of lr to put in the tank, and would it be cheaper to buy the lr from my lfs? instead of ordering and paying for shipping???

I started with all freshie equipment. When all was said and done with the new filter, protein skimmer, sand, salt, hydrometer (floating) it was $230. That was no fish at all. Not bad if you ask me. But still double what you are wanting to spend. I would start with the lights you have and the tank and go from there. Once you have everything started and cycled you can get the clows. Have the tank for a year and save your money, then buy the lights for the anemones. Then you can have your cake and eat it too. Salt tank and in time anemones. Best for you and livestock!!

but you didnt tell me how many lbs of lr to put in the tank, and would it be cheaper to buy the lr from my lfs? instead of ordering and paying for shipping???
For best biological filtration you should shoot for 1.5-2lbs/gal or 45-60lbs. This is going to exceed your $100 easily. Other options are mixing some good quality LR with some base rock. Base rock is much cheaper and will be seeded by your LR, over time it will also become live. Around here (Minneapolis, MN) LR runs anywhere from $8-$12/lb. and it is not the best looking stuff. It is cheaper for me to order LR online even with shipping. Have you checked out www.liverocks.com yet? It just depends on the price of LR in your area. They have awesome rock and a decent price shipped.

Back
Top Bottom