Possiblilty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
altough i really love the keys lr its beautiful

now all i gotta do is wait till my birthday to get my 55 gal and equipment for the 29 gal

*EDIT*

also is it true that the lr works as a second filter because its so pourous?

looked at it, too expensive
Ya, get used to it. That is the theme of this hobby. Liverocks.com offers some of the best priced LR around, you will hard-pressed to find better rock at a cheaper price. I suggest you save, save, save. The nice thing about this hobby is that it does not all have to happen at once. Many tanks are a work in progress. This is where the patence comes in :wink:

exactly thats what i want to do

but you didnt answer my question that the LR works as a second filter cause thats what i heard

also i know this is a long time from now i just want some tips on how to take care of anemones cause i couldnt find anything on the internet execpt that they want/need 50/50 lights

is that true? and are the 50/50 lights expensive??

You can use lr as your only filter. This is what I do. No mechanical filtration at all. But I do have 100+ lbs of lr in a 55g tank and four ph'd to move water through and around the rock.

As for anemone care, it depends on what type of anemone. I'd wait til you have the tank and it's been up and stable for 9-12 mo before I worry. Although, out of curiosity, where did you read that they need 50/50 lights?

but you didnt answer my question that the LR works as a second filter cause thats what i heard
You must have added it as an edit after I responded. LR does not really work as a second filter, it should work as a primary filter for your tank. It's main benefit is providing excellent biological filtration.
also i know this is a long time from now i just want some tips on how to take care of anemones cause i couldnt find anything on the internet execpt that they want/need 50/50 lights
As fluff mentioned, it varies from species to species. I have never heard of a 50/50 bulb being a requirement for anemones. Honestly, you are putting the cart before the horse. Baby steps, lets start wtih gettinga tank put together and cycled. Then keeping a fish alive...
If you can not find any info on the internet on anemone care you are not researching hard enough. Google it.

Rudy, I recommend you take a look at the recommended reading list in the "SW reef-getting started" forum. Buying a few books is the best thing you could do w/ the money right now.

well, guess what(not trying to be rude) i dont have any money :roll: so i will have to rent from the library, hopefully they have some good books

any recommendations? i know 1 book was recommended, but i cant remember the name

also, can i still use a filter for the tank???? and still have the LR working as a filter? either that or i will make a sump for the tank

any recommendations? i know 1 book was recommended, but i cant remember the name

I also have 'The New Marine Aquarium' By J. Patella (I think that's the author, don't have the book with me right now)
also, can i still use a filter for the tank???? and still have the LR working as a filter?

I run my 29 gallon with 2 powerheads, a HOB filter, and about 35 lbs of LR at the moment, and everything is great.

sweet!

thanks guys so much, and feel free to add any extra advice that you can hand out

thanks!

Rudy_627 said:
either that or i will make a sump for the tank

Wow... even a sump can (and most likely WILL) cost more than $100 on its own, even if you do it yourself. Just out of curiosity... what... in the name... of everything that is holy... is the rush? 8O

I assure you this hobby is not one that is cheap, and any quick corners and impatience that one takes can lead to disaster. Slow down, read some books, and take one thing at a time. Have you considered asking for financial help from parents? You never know... that $100 could turn into $300 or more if you save and do extra work to earn some extra cash. :D

Rudy, if you have no money for a book, how do you have money to set up a sw tank? Let alone have the money to maintain it? And surely by now, you know $100.00 just isn't gonna cut it.

"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.
I have to agree with fluff. It is time to evaluate the reality of putting together a SW with the funds you currently have. There are so many exspenses in this that you do not even think of until you have to actually buy something. With all this talk about LS, anemones, lights and a sump...well, you are looking at well over $500 for al of this. Here is my final piece of advice on this thread...Take you $100 and get a couple good books (I know, not so fun but well worth it in the long run), put this SW tank on hold until you find a way to earn/save money to pay for it. Use the time inbetween to research, research, research.

no i have money, just not any to actually buy those books cause right now i have $150 so im doing good for now, and i know im not rushing i still have just alittle bit over 2 months before i am ready and i want to be able to get as much as i can down for the future cause i gotta know what i need to buy and what i dont need to buy

i know most of it and i am experienced and knowlegable with FW and now i am learning the beautiful salty side of things too!

Buying a good book like the Bob Fenner book mentioned, is one of the best investments you could make. Good luck.

well i have a book my dad spent $30.99 its by Tetra and its called The Marine Aquarium Encyclopedia

although it is pretty old guys so hopefully it still is recommendable

Man you need to just relax and take your time. I was a freshwater guy before too and don't kid yourself fw is nothing like sw. There are some similarities but saltwater demands more time and yes money. If you are doing water changes(which you should) then you are looking at about 25-30 dollars a month just for salt. Listen to the people on this site. We are not trying to discourage you or tell you stories. We are trying to be straight with you. I try to be thrifty with this hobby too but there are some things that you don't want to cheap out on-skimmer,lights and live rock. Live rock is the key to this hobby. When I first started reading books at the library they were books from the 80's and they didn't make me feel very positive about this hobby. That was before liverock was wide spread. Don't forget that most of our specimens come from the ocean and not a fish farm like fw. We need to imitate the ocean as best we can otherwise we probably won't be very successful. Basically put, you can get stuff used for cheap but you have to realise that there will be ongoing expense that is unavoidable. If you have your lights burn out you must replace them,if your filter or powerhead breaks you must replace them so get used to the fact that this hobby is not cheap. You might think all you want is that one fish and that one but when you start really getting involved and seeing what kinds of things you can get, you will end up wanting them. I know you've heard it before but patience is of utmost importance for success in sw. By the way forget everything you know about cichlids as none of that applies here. I have cichlids too and they are pretty much bulletproof and saltwater fish are not.

Back
Top Bottom