Possibly Sick Lemon Peel Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brickie23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello to everyone ,

This is my first post so be patient with me. I possibly might have a sick lemon peel tang. I do n't know if it is sick or is just maturing. To follow the advice of the email of giving all the possible information that I can about my tang.

First, I bought him back in December from a retailer online. He is excellent with no aggression towards any of my other fish. He is eating healthy (cyclopeeze, mysis, algae on the live rock). The water parameters are all in check from the test kit that I purchased from a local pet store that specializes in saltwater fish.

However, I have noticed him changing color from a yellow to brown, which I understand that is part of the maturing process of the lemon peel tang. But at the same time he is flashing on his left side against the same rock and he continues to go up and get air. Where none of the other fish are going up to get air. I have not quarantine or treated him with medication yet. If so, what would I need to do and with what type of meds? Also, are my other fish in trouble if there is something wrong?

I acclimated him by drip method, and I have a sump filtration with protein skimmer, and u.v. sterilizer. As mentioned earlier I have live rock and have not given him any meds yet?

Thank you for your help,
brickie23

Dont give any meds in your main tank .. As for the flashing tangs are ICH magnets that will get it if stressed over anything at all.
I had a fish too that showed no signs of ICH at all and would occasionally flash . As for going up for air do you have good surface agitation that would churn the water surface ?
If he is eating and just doing that keep a close eye on him it may just be one of his quarks ...
Also if you can take a sample in and have them cross test it . :D

Also I think you are talkling about a yellow tang. There is such a thing as a lemon peel angel. My tangs for years have occasionally flashed with no sign of ick. Just because they flash occasionally flash does not necessarily mean ich. As Sadie said keep a close eye out.

Thanks for all your advice, I believe that I have good surface agitation with the current setup, do you have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Joe

If you can add a HOB (Hang On Back ) filter you wouldn't even need the media unless you chose to .. That would help as would a couple korlias at strategic placed areas in the tank that would draw in from the top and push it round the tank ;)

Thanks for the link TC. I just have never heard it called a lemon peel tang. I`ve always called that fish a mimic tang. Learn something everyday.

Back
Top Bottom