Power filter enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Dirty

Aquarium Advice Freak
At 1 of my LFS they set up a tank with just a power filter. Is it possible to run a SW tank with just that for equipment? I think it's a 20 or 29 gallon. I've always been too chicken to try SW but would try it if I don't have too throw a lot of money at it. please don't take last comment as an insult to SW keepers. Thanks.

I am following because someday I am going to try to do just that: run a small salt water tank like a fresh water. No expenisve rock, no power heads...just fish, decorations, and salt water. It is not ideal but I have been reading a lot and feel like if I do weekly water changes and don't overstock that a simple salt tank will work. Haven't tried it yet, so can't say if I am right or wrong.

So I am interested in knowing if anyone has ever done it this way. Hope you get someone to answer.

It will work. That is how all the bio cubes and jbj nano cubes work. It is basically a power filter In the back compartments. Good luck.

You'd want the filter to have a very high flow compared to what you can use in freshwater. Target 20 times the tank volume per hour or larger. One thing I would NOT skimp on is pure freshwater to mix with your salt. Doing so almost inevitably will lead to an ugly nuisance algae outbreak down the line. This is far easier to prevent than eliminate after the fact.

I think for a 20g-29 if you got like an ac110 you probably could do just a hob filter only, but you would want at least some live rock like 10lbs min for some bio filtration. also, their is a reason he keeps devil fish in there. they don't die. lol

Yes you can use just a HOB The idea with using LR is to add surface area for the BB Without it you'll need to to do a PWC a lot more than 1-2 times a month to keep the nitrAtes down

Back
Top Bottom