Power head instead of air pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Any advice would be nice as my knowledge ain't to great on aeration. My current setup is a 30 gal fresh water tank, with a canister filter and a undergravel filter and air stone run by air pump. I have had many different air pumps over the years and non of them have been really quite. I was thinking of ditching the air pump altogether and get a power head on the gravel filter with a venturie for air. The question is are power heads silent will one provide enough oxygen if so can someone recommend which one to buy. Thanks

If you decide to go the power head route, get reverse flow kit for them. You will be pushing water down the riser tube, and will keep the area under the plates a little cleaner. 2 small powerheads on the riser tubes would work well. Since the powerheads are under water they are relatively quiet. be sure to use sponge filters on the intakes of the power heads. As far as which brand, you will need to research them and make your choice. Not all manufacturers make reverse flow. Undergravel filters are really old school. that was all that was available for filtration when I started in the hobby:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom