Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriend1010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry for posting so many times over the past few days. My power just went out for around 1.5 hours. Is there anything I should do for the fish when power returns/in the meantime? Everything seems okay, but I’m a little worried. Thanks!

If everything looks ok i wouldnt worry too much. Power outages happen, 1.5 hours isnt too long.

If you are concerned, test the water and do a water change if things seem off. But you are in the middle of cycling, so water quality isnt perfect anyway.

A year or so ago i was working from home, took the opportunity to do a water change while i wasnt too busy. Removed half the water and then got called into a teams meeting that took all afternoon, so a half filled tank with no filtration or heater for about 4 hours. Nothing bad happened.

If power outages are a frequent occurance you might want to consider getting a battery powered airstone so you can keep your aquarium oxygenated when the power goes out. That would be a low cost precaution you could easily take. Wouldnt help if you arent home when the power goes out though. A UPS or back up generator is more belt and braces but a little excessive for most hobbyists.

Penn Plax has/had a plug in battery backup pump that would turn on when the electric turned off. You could either tie it into an air driven filter or just an air stone. The only thing you would need to do is keep good batteries in it. 1.5 hours with no air is not really an issue as long as the tank is not overstocked. After Hurricane Andrew blew through Florida, we were without electricity for weeks and the fish in the warehouse were kept alive just by taking the existing water into containers and splashing it back into the tanks so the water was getting oxygenated. We did this once an hour and lost no fish. (y)

Keep an eye on temperature too. One tip-off is the temp in the room: if it's too hot (or cold) for you, the tank is likely going there too. They can handle being slightly out of range, but if the temp is rising and the power is still off, prepare to deal with it.

Since this is summer, with tornadoes and hurricanes, too much heat could become a problem. The old method of ice cubes in a ziplock bag will help, but if it's extreme I've found the only way to bring it down is a s-l-o-w transfer of cold bottled water for scooped-out hot water.

That's it. (y) The nice thing about this is you just need to put an airstone on it to keep the water oxygenated. Attach it to a working sponge filter is even better. The problem with canisters and HOBs and long power outages is that the water inside them can foul terribly if the power is off for too long so you really don't want them to start back up before you get a chance to clean them out. :unsure:

That is nice to know about the filters so far I've been lucky my power just blinks off long enough to have to reset all the clocks.:banghead: But now I will watch out for long term power outages. How long would you say to be safe before dragging out the generator? After 2 or 3 hours the wife will make me crank it up anyway.

That is nice to know about the filters so far I've been lucky my power just blinks off long enough to have to reset all the clocks.:banghead: But now I will watch out for long term power outages. How long would you say to be safe before dragging out the generator? After 2 or 3 hours the wife will make me crank it up anyway.
It's not something most think about. They are just glad the temp didn't get too high or too low and the fish are still swimming. What sucks is when it goes out for a day or 2 and then the anaerobic bacteria start to form and then the power goes back on and they contaminate the main tank. :facepalm:

As for how long you've got, a lot will have depended on how oxygenated your water was at the time of the outage. The more oxygen that was in the water the longer the bacteria in the filter(s) could survive but we are only talking like from 3-4 hours before they start dying off. So I'm sure you are thinking " But then how do those bacteria in a bottle last so long? The answer is that in the water, they use a buffer of some form that either make the bacteria go dormant or a suspended animation form which they come out of when that buffer is gone or diluted. That buffer does not last indefinitely either which is why they have a shelf life.

An interesting published study say that the non-active nitrifiers will deteriorate at rates of 5 to 12% per day. Look at the section "Nitrifier Death and Decay" in the study:
Link=>Behavior and Physiology of Nitrifying Bacteria
This: " However, these values were typically inferred from heterotrophic bacteria rather than specifically measured for nitrifiers. Hence, conclusive data to clarify our understanding of nitrification-related decay and death is lacking. " kinda screws up that theory. ) :unsure:

It's not something most think about. They are just glad the temp didn't get too high or too low and the fish are still swimming. What sucks is when it goes out for a day or 2 and then the anaerobic bacteria start to form and then the power goes back on and they contaminate the main tank. :facepalm:

As for how long you've got, a lot will have depended on how oxygenated your water was at the time of the outage. The more oxygen that was in the water the longer the bacteria in the filter(s) could survive but we are only talking like from 3-4 hours before they start dying off. So I'm sure you are thinking " But then how do those bacteria in a bottle last so long? The answer is that in the water, they use a buffer of some form that either make the bacteria go dormant or a suspended animation form which they come out of when that buffer is gone or diluted. That buffer does not last indefinitely either which is why they have a shelf life.
When you say clean the filters how clean do you mean? Just rinse everything good or kill everything and start over? On the canister could I put the output in a bucket and flush it with tank water. Or flush it with treated tap water. Does it need to come apart say if I just cleaned it before the outage?

When you say clean the filters how clean do you mean? Just rinse everything good or kill everything and start over? On the canister could I put the output in a bucket and flush it with tank water. Or flush it with treated tap water. Does it need to come apart say if I just cleaned it before the outage?
The answer depends on how long the power was out. The longer it's out, the more your filter needs to be sterilized as anaerobic bacteria will develop which can create a gas that will kill the fish if it gets too high. Short term outages , i.e. a day or two, just rinse off the filter material inside then replace it after dumping any water in the canister out. Longer than 2 days and you are starting from scratch. :(

If you think a canister filter is going to be out of action for any significant period of time, removing all the baskets of media and getting them into oxygenated, dechlorinated water would be a good idea. Just dropping the baskets into the aquarium would be best, especially if you can maintain some flow in the aquarium because there will also be some ammonia to keep your denitrifying microbes fed. Even just taking the top off the canister will be better than leaving it sealed up.

OK Thanks I'm goin to drag out the old watt meter for a test of my two filters and size a UPS to run them and the air pump for 4 hours. Putting in Fathers day order early it is time he spends some money on me.:grin: Pay back for those four years of agitation I mean education and 3 mustangs. When the UPS starts to give up then fire up the generator to recharge it and the icebox.
I also have some memories of Hurricane Andrew I was on the fire/rescue here in NC and drove a truck of food fuel water generator window A/C and hot plate. down to my sisters place in Homestead. The main thing that stayed with me was how many flat tires I had 6 the first week. I became the go to guy for plugging tires on her street. I got in good with the local rescue that hooked us up with all the ice we could carry to neighbors. Bad what happened but GOOD to see everyone pull together.

OK Thanks I'm goin to drag out the old watt meter for a test of my two filters and size a UPS to run them and the air pump for 4 hours. Putting in Fathers day order early it is time he spends some money on me.:grin: Pay back for those four years of agitation I mean education and 3 mustangs. When the UPS starts to give up then fire up the generator to recharge it and the icebox.
I also have some memories of Hurricane Andrew I was on the fire/rescue here in NC and drove a truck of food fuel water generator window A/C and hot plate. down to my sisters place in Homestead. The main thing that stayed with me was how many flat tires I had 6 the first week. I became the go to guy for plugging tires on her street. I got in good with the local rescue that hooked us up with all the ice we could carry to neighbors. Bad what happened but GOOD to see everyone pull together.
Yeah, hurricane Andrew was a beast for sure. Thankfully it went South at the last minute because my house was in the path for most of the time before it hit. The whole thing was a mess. So many failures were discovered with that storm. And of course I got a lot of ribbing because of my name. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom