Powerhead for extra water movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsonnenl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do any of you have a powerhead in your planted tanks for extra water movement and current? I'm debating putting one in my 72g. The current from my eheim is fairly strong from one end of the tank, and I love watching the fish try to swim into it.

I was thinking about adding one on the other side about 1/3 of the way up off of the gravel and aiming it out from back to front to change the water movement a little. What do you think? I was thinking a penguin with the reverse flow sponge, but I was hoping to find something a little smaller and less conspicuous.

Its a good idea from everything I've heard. I haven't done it yet either, but am contemplating it also for my 90. I haven't yet researched which type would be best, and hiding it is important to me also. You're on the right track, let us know which powerhead you decide on.

Although it is good to have water movement in the tank to avoid having any stagnant areas, remember that too much surface movement will drive off your CO2 in the tank, and that is not beneficial for the plants... :)

I agree with IronDogg. That is why so many planted tank keepers have a nice supply of air pumps and air stones in their cabinets! You want to limit the surface agitation so I would not add any kind of power head, if you are trying to grow plants.

Only surface movemant is bad, he's talking about mid-level in a 72 gallon, that will be fine, even good. Heavily planted tanks can get very unven water movement, so a lot of people use an extra powerhead, at the bottom or mid-level, keeps stagnant water pockets from forming.

Too true, CC. If you don't have bubbles or splashing there is no problem, and like you say, it is a good idea in a tank that size.

Back
Top Bottom