Powerheads and wave makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossco

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys just wonder if a wave maker and powerheads r the same thing and should I get one for a 40 g African cichlid tank??? If so wats a good brand and all that fun stuff. ...:)

Power heads are different than wave makers. My understanding is that a wave maker is actually the control box you buy separately that turns on and off the power heads/circulation pump to make artificial waves. I have a nano power head that I really like and they make the same exact thing in bigger sizes. It's the Hydor Koralia pumps, they're pretty awesome, well worth the money for reliability and quiet operation.

Hey Guys just wonder if a wave maker and powerheads r the same thing and should I get one for a 40 g African cichlid tank??? If so wats a good brand and all that fun stuff. ...:)

For a 40 gallon African cichlid tank, you don't need one. However IF your trying to keep debris from settling on your substrate or any other debris and just want a little more movement I can see adding one. A koralia 750 would be a good size.

What are you trying to achieve and what filtration are you using. Do you have a picture of the setup?

Some use them to get behind the scape to help bring debris to the filter

I have a aqua clear 70 for a filter and ye I just want some movent in my rock scape and to pick up all the junk on my substrate ! And do u think I should get more filtration if so wat do u suggest !!! Thanks :)

I have a aqua clear 70 for a filter and ye I just want some movent in my rock scape and to pick up all the junk on my substrate ! And do u think I should get more filtration if so wat do u suggest !!! Thanks :)

How many fish are we taking and what's the setup look like? I always go with over filtration.

As of right now I only got 3 in it but I want it fully stocked or just about! And thanks convict always good info from u and did u end up sending out that air pump? And if so should I use that in my 40 or my 30 or my 8 gallon?

As of right now I only got 3 in it but I want it fully stocked or just about! And thanks convict always good info from u and did u end up sending out that air pump? And if so should I use that in my 40 or my 30 or my 8 gallon?

Sent out. It might me a bit much for your 8 gallon. I'd say the 30 or 40 you can dial down

I have a fluval circulation pump should I put that instead of my mj1200 powerhead ?

Back
Top Bottom