Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking at a powerhead on ebay...it is a 3200 GPH dual wave maker. Can anyone tell me if this is worth the trouble for a 10g nano? Too much? Not enough? Can you recommend one that might be better?

That would be extreme overkill in a 10 gallon. I would think at the very most you'd want about 200gph.

If the wavemaker you're talking about is what I think it is, I don't think you can hook it up to a skimmer. (Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.) Typically, "wavemakers" are like underwater fans. They're great at circulating the water, but you can't "duct" the flow to go anywhere in particular. (Imagine trying to hook ductwork up to a ceiling fan.)

If you want a circulation pump, you might look for a Hydor Korallia Nano 240. Here's a link to the manufacturer's product page:
HYDOR componenti per acquari

I don't think you'd need a skimmer on a tank that small and I'm unsure as to what would work on it for a skimmer anyway. You'd probably be fine with a circualtion pump and a good hang on power filter like a Aquaclear.

+1 on the Koralia nano 240. I have a 12g tank and run the 240 and the 425. Makes for great circulation and no dead spots in or around my rock work. And since I have 2 and their both part of the new evolution line I can get their wave-maker that runs about $80 MSRP. If you want to do extra filtration try a HOB fuge. That way you can grow macro, which takes away extra nutrients (i.e. phosphate and nitrate) from the water and also prevents nuisance algae from growing in your DT.

Back
Top Bottom