Ppm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PPM stands for parts per million. You can measure this by using most ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite test kits.

Any water test kit will work. Just get some aquarium water, add the solution to dye the water then use the guide to see how much nitrogenous waste is in the tank.

I'm thinking about just doing a tetra safestart cycle. It seems more simple, which is good for me. I put my water in today and added nutrafin cycle which I'm sure died off because I thought it cleared the water of chlorine. The only other chemical that I have used is PH down. Can I still use this water?

No. Scrap it and start over. Don't use pH chemicals. They can cause wild pH fluctuations. You are fishless cycling? You have to experiment with adding the ammonia to get the right ppm. Add a few drops, let it circulate in the tank then test. Add a few more and test. Count the number of drops or mL it takes to reach 4ppm. Products that claim to start the cycle rarely work as advertised. Save your money and skip them.

I don't have a gravel vacuum so what's the best way to get the water out? I read that tetra start got good reviews and are ammonia strips not recommended?

You'll have to scoop it out with something. A tank will cycle without the cycling product. They are so hit or miss I don't see the point wasting money on them personally. Test strips I'm assuming? They are pretty unreliable. Better off sticking to liquid tests.

Does Petsmart have the master API Kit and Prime? When I'm adding water back into the tank, do I need to add chlorine before I put it in, or after?

Does Petsmart have the master API Kit and Prime? When I'm adding water back into the tank, do I need to add chlorine before I put it in, or after?

I don't know I'm sorry. We don't have petsmart where I am. I assume they do. They will be cheaper if you buy them online. Upon set up you can dose prime after its filled up. Or after. It doesn't matter. Once its cycling you will have to dose prime first then fill.

What about adding plants? Do I have to do them all at once, or can I go bit by bit.

You can add or remove plants at any time in any amount. The only exception is if you have a really large plant that takes up a lot of nutrients. By removing it there might not be enough bacteria to take up the slack. Its no big deal though. Easily fixed.

And with that, can you suggest some lowlight plants? I only have to 25 watt T8 bulbs

How big is your tank? Some plants that are pretty indestructible and good for beginners are anubias, java fern, java moss, elodea, most crypts, hornwort , amazon swords and frogbit.

Amazon swords get massive but are heavy root feeders. Elodea is a stem plant. It just keeps growing longer and longer. Same with hornwort. It's a floating plant so it doesn't have roots but you can anchor it in the substrate. It does shed needles in your tank though.

So, I can still make a lush and beautiful aquarium with low light plants that will keep my fish happy?

I hope I can because I'm probably getting half a watt per gallon. Hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom